Front Row Golden Ale

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Front Row Golden AleFront Row Golden Ale
Notes: This light and refreshing beer is the perfect balance of hop bitterness and a honey-like malt body. Lightly hopped with Cascade, the Honey malt and oats bring a bit of sweetness for a smooth mouthfeel and clean finish.

Malt: Pilsner, Oats, Caramel, Honey
Hops: Cascade
Yeast: Ale
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 28 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

I got a late start on this past Sunday's NBS (Week 774) & I did not finish up my DelMarVa (+ DC) adventure as planned. 8=( Further, I have promised that next week's NBS (Week 775) will be dedicated to the wonderful beers sent to me by @jkblr who seems to have a real handle on my drinking habits. CANsparency is key in these things! As a result, I am going to CANcentrate over the next few days on eradicating everything that would have CANbined to form the finale of the DelMarVa (+ DC) adventure. Sit down, strap in & hang on. It's gonna be a wild ride!

Speaking of wild, I am now shifting over to a couple of bottles! Nice add, BTW! That guy really seems to know what he is doing. ;=)

From the Bottle: "This light and refreshing beer is the perfect balance of Honey malt and Cascade hops for a smooth body and clean finish."

I Pop!ped the cap & started a slow, gentle C-Line pour into the awaiting glass. I may have been a wee bit too gentle as there was an initial lack of head. I then resorted to a vigorous in-glass swirl that raised just over a finger of fizzy, foamy, rocky, tawny head with modest retention, quickly reverting to wisps. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. It resembled honey as The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Midas & Mammon came rolling in for a taste. Nose smelled like freshly-baked biscuits drizzled with honey! Mmm. It takes me back to my childhood & summers spent at my maternal grandparents' house. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not terribly far beyond it. The taste was prevalently honey & biscuit malt with a modicum of pine resin to keep me on my toes. Why is this not being rated more highly? It is not only as advertised, but it is also to style. This would make an excellent Summer cooler filler! Finish was semi-dry & highly refreshing. I could crush these at the beach. If only they put it in CANs … YMMV.

Haha! Fooled you! I had a CAN in abeyance for a back-to-back/side-by-side review. The CANQuest (tm) used to enable me to do this all the time, but with bottles falling out of prominence, it is not as easy as it once was.

From the CAN: "Founded 1999 Charlottesville, VA".

Well, I did not realize how much I miss the sound of the Crack!ing open of the vent on a CAN until I was precluded from doing so by a pesky Bottle! I guess that in addition to my ongoing hophead jones, I also have an auditory jones. 8=( I beCAN a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting brewery's glass. I sat back in stark CANstonishment as it puffed up to form two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with excellent retention, leaving a load of lacing in its wake. Color was a lightly-hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). Nose had the same honeyed-biscuit scent as its bottled CANterpart. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not quite watery, but not much beyond it, either. The taste had the selfsame honey-biscuit with light pine. Mmm. This was darn good & stylistically, it was just what I expected. Finish was semi-dry & highly refreshing. Watch for this in my beach-bound cooler this Summer. YMMV.

I'll call this one a draw in the immortal battle of Bottle v. CAN.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the bottle, it pours a golden amber color with a large white head that lasts a bit. In the nose, it is a touch malty. In the mouth, it is caramel malty. Nice!

3.82/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I tried this at the Roanoke location and was very impressed. It poured a clear golden with thin white head that did not leave much lace. The scent had hints of grain and malt. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink with malt base and citrus hop presence. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it was a good beer.

3.49/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a deep, rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of grains. Taste is malts, light grains, some sweetness, highly refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a good summer thirst quencher.

3.66/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a grip shaped goblet: color is gold, head is off white made up of fine bubbles and presenting about 1/2 inch thick, head dissipates to solid top and some lacing on the glass sides.

Smell is neutral malt, light sweetness, maybe some cracker like notes and some grassy hops.

Taste is simple with neutral malt then some light sweetness, breadiness, crackers; hops are lightly grassy and maybe some herbal character.

Mouthfeel is crisp, moderate carbonation, but a dry finish on the tongue that lingers a bit.

Overall a simple golden ale with some neutral but pleasant grain notes but an over dry feel.

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tad too sweet - needs to idle back honey malt. Aroma is very subdued. Good hop balance but pretty nondescript beer overall. Easy drinker which is what they were probably aiming for.

3.71/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap.

A - Nice clear dark gold colored pour with thing white lacing and moderate carbonation.

S - Light honey malt aroma and delicate citrus.

T - Follows the nose. Crisp, crackery honey malt base from start to finish and ends with a light but pleasing citrus bitterness.

M - Medium body with light carbonation pricklies and a wet finish on the front of the tongue with moderate dryness in the back of the mouth.

O - This is an easy sipper with nice balance.

Front Row Golden Ale from Starr Hill Brewery