Melon Wheat Ale | Shipyard Brewing Company

Added by TTripp725 on 08-26-2017

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Welcome back to #WatermelonWednesday as I continue my campaign to #BumptheHump & celebrate the midweek workday in a more upbeat, pleasant manner. I was recently at the Wegman’s in Mechanicsburg, PA when I spotted this one & procured it with today in mind.

From the bottle: "43.6615 (deg.) N, 70.2553 (deg.) W". Ooh, as a retired U.S. Navy sailor, I LOVE when they talk Lat & Long to me! The house band on Diego Garcia was "Seven Degrees South" as in, of the Equator. Haha.; “Ale with Natural Flavors added”.

I Pop!ped the cap, only to be reminded once again that they use those screwed-up screw-off caps! Grrr. 8={} I alleviated some of my frustration by utilizing a heavy-handed pour. This actually worked in my favor as it created just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, eggshell-white head with decent retention. Color was a pretty Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, calling forth The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon for a taste. Nose had the distinct smell of watermelon & this was good, especially since it can sometimes smell like Jolly Rancher candies. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was pleasant, especially for a Watermelon Ale, which can go in just about any direction, in my exbeerience.

I have had some where the flavor was spot-on, but unabating, kind of like when my babysitter & her friend doused themselves in watermelon-scented perfume. It smelled right, but it refused to give up. I have had some where it was sickeningly, cloyingly sweet. I have also had some (Minhas!) where it just tasted like a chemically derived, liquid version of a Jolly Rancher & was not at all pleasant.

This one tasted of watermelon, but also allowed for a grainy wheat flavor to poke through, giving it a slightly piquant quality, along with a biscuit malt dryness. Finish was definitely dry & refreshing & would make a great addition to the cooler on a hot, humid summer’s day. I say this because their website seems to indicate that it is also being CANned.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Melon Wheat Ale from Shipyard Brewing Company