Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hefe Weizen | Scuttlebutt Brewing Company - Restaurant and Pub

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2003

Reviews by RedDiamond:
3.88/5  rDev +23.2%

I was slightly disappointed to see Scuttlebutt serve me their American-style clouded wheat beer with a thick wedge of lemon clipped to the glass. I thought somehow we'd all gotten over the lemon thing. I guess not. Before even touching the glass I removed the lemon and hurled it across the room at a fat man in a Harley T-shirt.

Scuttlebutt's hefe is clean, crisp, and invigorating though not overly sharp. It shows ample carbonation, a light film of head, and a densely translucent orange-gold color. The aroma is modestly punky, but the flavor is inspired by gentle grains and draws to a spry finish.

A reliably wholesome ale that is eminently repeatable. Hurling citrus fruit at fat guys in Harley shirts - not repeatable.

2.81/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance – This hazy yellow body had a bit of carbonation to it along with a nice, white head.

Smell – I could pick up a faint yeast aroma, but mostly I caught grain.

Taste – There is very little wheat to this wheat beer, and the grainy backbone confused the hell out of me. It ended quite bitter with a touch of citrus hops.

Mouthfeel – Decently carbonated and light-bodied.

Drinkability – I couldn’t figure this one out. It wasn’t very wheaty and certainly didn’t resemble a Hefe Weizen, so I don’t know what they were trying to do with it.

2.68/5  rDev -14.9%

First had: on tap at their brewery

Poured a hazy, pale yellow. Fizzy body culminating in a foamy white cap that receded to almost nothing within a few minutes. Mostly grains in the aroma with a bit of funk. Pale malts and wheat in the taste, more flatly acidic than citrusy, and the harsh sensation that makes me not like most witbiers. Light body, and I suppose somewhat drinkable if you like the style more than I.

3.01/5  rDev -4.4%

For a hefe weizen, this beer clearly lacked all the traits - no smoothness that is/should be, imparted by the wheat, no citrusy zestiness, no yeast profile, no spiciness etc that is so abundantly found in some of the stellar examples of this type of beer.
It looks yellow in a glass, and tastes of malt, and balancing hops. One can only assume that the brewers haven't matched the malt bill and the yeast to the beer they had in mind.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

I had this beer on-tap at the brewery in a six-ounce sample glass.

Appearance: pale golden hazy body with one finger of somewhat rapidly dissipating white foam. Pretty standard.

Smell: nice, light, wheaty aroma; not much character beyond that. Not a great fan.

Taste: wheaty and malty. Again, not bad, but not much character beyond that. This is definitely a pale wheat ale and not a hefeweizen -- there's practically no contribution from the yeast and no delicious banana or clove taste.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with surprisingly low carbonation. Definitely not my favorite, but it is passable.

Drinkability: a refreshing but flawed wheat ale; I would drink this again if I were really in the mood for a wheat and there weren't many other options.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

I had SScuttlebuut Hefe at the brewery, served iin a pint glass.

Pours a pale straw gold color and is slightly hazy. A small white bubbly head tops the brew, but dissipates quickly.

Smell is faint with a cereal grain aroma.

Taste is a typical wheat ale, but it lacks the robust fruit flavors of an authentic hefe weizen.

Mouthfeel is light, clean and perhaps a little watery.

A very drinkable brew, but not a real good example of the authentic hefe style.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hefe Weizen from Scuttlebutt Brewing Company - Restaurant and Pub