Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Aces High | Cambridge Brewing Company

3.9/5
Very Good

Cambridge Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
cambridgebrewingcompany.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by clegolfski on 07-26-2010

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Cloudy, orange amber color. Nearly no head and it settles to rim bubbles. Some spots on the glass.

Sharp, dry hop with a strong Belgian yeast aroma.

Bitter with a light Belgian bite from the yeast. Full bodied with an elevated carbonation level. Very true to style.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

This beer was touted as a Belgian Amber ale with Sorachi Ace hops.

First, it pours a surprising dark brown (less reddish-brown-amber than I was expecting) with a nice head.

Scent is citrusy/herb (lemon verbana maybe?).

Mouthfeel is very carbonated, nice and refreshing.

Ok, so, I wasn't super wild about this beer for a couple of reasons that are potentially more personal than anything else. I find this beer to taste like chewing grass clippings, I did not get the lemony/citrus/palette cleansing wonderfulness that other people did. Maybe I'm weird but I tasted dill first, grass second, and mustard greens third. Again, weird. I will say the shock of a dill beer did make me laugh so it was an enjoyable experience, but I wouldn't have been able to have more than one. I also found it shockingly bitter and moisture sapping.

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aces High
A - Pours a nice amber color with white head that disappears quickly. Little bit of lacing.

S - Bright and citrusy there is a yeast character too that provides a nice earthy background

T - Very similar to the Audacity of hops but with a citrus twist. They really hit the "Belgian IPA" Category that I so love. The earthy taste of the CBC yeast strain is there but those Sorachis make this a great summer beer. The hops are not overwhelming at all and serve a great counterpoint.

M - nice and well rounded.

D - All day... finishes so nice and in such a refreshing way I love it.

Aces High from Cambridge Brewing Company