Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brewer's Blackbird Black IPA - Beer Camp #27 | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

4.13/5
Exceptional

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by mcallister on 08-20-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on tap at the Great lost bear. Reviewing from notes.

Served in a nice tulip.
A nice black, but transparent when held to the light. A nice hear forms and stays for the majority of the beer.

The nose is big citrus hops and a slight roast. The hops dominate the aroma, an almost berry nose with some pine hops in the back.

The taste is very nice a mix of roast and citrus flavor hops take the first round on the flavor. As the citrus flavor dissipates the roasted flavor brings in a bitterness that lingers. very nice

Overall I like this beer it is very well rounded and a great example of the style

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

From notes 04SEP2010

Poured into Unibroue tulip at Kickback's Gastropub in Jax

Well seeing as I used to work for a guy who helped brew this beauty at Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp, good work Flo & Co. That being said, this was one a big boy of a Cascade Dark/Black IPA/ whatever we call em now. Not sure where it fits in the style categories honestly, but do know that I would drink it up again.

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Sierra Blackbird on tap at Rattle N' Hum in Manhattan, NYC.

Appearance: Served in snifter, comes with a beautiful dark color, looking super black and opaque and with a perfect one-finger head of a coffee-with-cream. Good retention and lacing.

Smell: Very dark and roasty, chocolate, cheesecake, hot milk. The nose is more like an Imperial Stout. Some vanilla, sweetness. Distant hops , very subdued and cooked. I smell this beer and go back to the fields of drying corn around Columbus, Ohio, in the late summer where I fell in love with the bare, abstract landscapes of the Midwest.

Taste: Not as enticing as nose and body, but good. Very chocolaty, tastes and feels like European hot/liquid chocolate, only cold. Some hops in the back, and a slightly dry finish. A nice bitterness lingers in the mouth after sipping.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, medium body, full flavor. Creamy, smooth, like a cask Imperial Stout.

Drinkability: Drinks very well, super tasty, fresh, never too boozy. Beautiful! The 8.7% is surely present, though, and it hits eventually. This is more of a Russian Imperial Stout than a Black IPA, but in any case, it is a delicious brew.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Black as night with an off white tan head. A good deal of lacing. The nose is full of caramel and chocolate followed by a strong citrus hop background. Taste, first caramel, burnt dark bread, chocolate, followed by the piney citrus hop punch. Finishes dry and clean with a hint of bread. Medium carbonation with a smooth creamy mouth feel. Overall a good version of a CDA. Not quite session-able at 8.7%, but a good once and done.

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%

on tap at The Great Lost Bear

A- Jet black, two fingers of white head, head slightly receeds, but seems to stick around forever.

S-Slight smell of wet piney hops, not getting much else.

T- Wow, roasted malts are prominent with a nice bittering hop punch.

M- Smooth, medium body, and medium carbonation.

D- I was worried about this beer from the lack of smell but the taste and mouthfeel of this beer are great, would definetly drink again.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

Served on-tap at the Great Lost Bear in Portland, ME.

A: Poured in such a way that there is only a small amount of a tan-colored head... even this small head hung around, however. Body is jet-black and appears opaque.

S: Strong aroma of fresh, citrusy and piney hops. There is also the slightest hint of roasted aroma, but it really is quite minimal.

T: The roastiness comes through a bit more in the flavor, but the hops still dominate, and are similar to those in the aroma. Bitterness is moderate-high in the finish.

M: Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation.

D: A very interesting and tasty beer. Hard to judge how this is compared to other "Black IPAs", since opinions still seem to differ over how this should taste. However, it's NOT just a black IPA, nor is it a hoppy porter or stout, so it seems pretty accurate to me.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Black as night all the way through. Mocha tan head on top.

S - Lime, aloe vera, grapefruit, fresh wet hops. Slightly smokey molasses malt.

T - Follows the nose. Lime and grapefruit dominate on top of a smoked oaky malt. Dark chocolate creeps in along with coffee and pine notes on the finish. The hops are bold from start to finish. The aftertaste is a lime coffee flavor. It sounds gross but I can assure it is not. This is my first black IPA and I loved it! When you can cross a beautifully smoked porter with a quality IPA this what you get. I'm very excited about the opportunities of this style.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Reviewed from my notes. Served on tap at the Great Lost Bear in Portland, ME. Mike, the bartender here, was one of the Beer Camp attendees who helped concoct this beverage. I was hoping to ask him some questions about the beer, but he wasn't working when I arrived.

The beer arrived to me in a tulip glass that was nearly full of an intense black liquid. To me it looks like a stout, but it is notoriously dark at the GLB and I occasionally have a hard time determining how dark a beer here actually is. The high amount of liquid left little room for the head, but what was there was a small cap of tan foam. I would have liked to see what this beer looks like when there is some room for a full head to form. As I sip it, patchy lace is left behind.

Like most SN beers, this one has a good aroma full of west coast hops. They give it a forest like quality, which seems appropriate to me (because birds like the forest).

This blackbird has a big bittr flavor, especially in the finish. Eash sip begins with a balance of malt and hops, but the malts are quickly overpowered by oily hops. These hops linger. Like the aroma, the flavor profile of the hops reminds me of a forest. The malts taste a little toasted. This is most apparent in the finish; here the toasted malts, bitter hops and warm alcohol blend together impressively. Is this unique, common to black IPAs, or just something I don't remember experiencing before? It doesn't matter really, as it is such a tasty beer.

The beer is full-bodied and possesses slightly above average carbonation. A good sized coat is left in my mouth after each swallow. It retains a bitter flavor. It also leaves my mouth a little sticky.

I find this beer to be pretty drinkable. I could probably have a couple servings in glasses of this size. Any more than that, and I think I would have to switch to a less hoppy beer. It's possible that if you found this beer on tap, there would be better IPAs available, but in my opinion, a new beer from Sierra Nevada is always worth trying.

Had on tap at the Great Lost Bear.

Appearance - Very dark, almost black, with a thick, creamy, tan head that sticks around.

Smell - Hops, hops, and more (fresh) hops. A bit intimidating since I'm not usually a fan of hoppy beers, but the smell was very inviting. It actually smelled like I'd just plucked a hop from a vine and held it to my nose.

Taste - Wow. I was expecting to be punched in the face with some overwhelming bitterness, but nope. The hops were dominant, but somehow very pleasant and mild. Dangerous. As it warms it develops a bit of a smoky English porter sort of flavor, the hops are even more mild but still present.

Mouthfeel - So smooth, if the intense hop flavor wasn't there I wouldn't even know I was drinking something. Goes down very easily and gets even easier to drink as it warms.

Drinkability - Typically, I don't go for IPA's. Bitter hoppy beers aren't my thing. But this is just soo smooth.. Sierra Nevada has really showcased the flavor of hops without assaulting your taste buds with bitterness. I absolutely love this beer.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Brewer's Blackbird Black IPA - Beer Camp #27 from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.