Earth Day EPA - Beer Camp #49 | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

4.26/5
Outstanding

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by woosterbill on 09-13-2011

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

On-tap at The Cask Republic (whose owner was part of the camp) into a pint glass.

A: Clear pale amber body topped by a finger of fine, creamy off-white head. Pretty good retention, plenty of lace. Attractive beer.

S: Hops dominate, with a mixture of pungent floral notes and resinous pine. Perhaps a blend of English and PNW varieties? A bit of biscuity malt underlies the powerful hoppiness. Quite nice indeed.

T: Piney hops jump out at first, followed by mellower floral flavors and plenty of rich, lightly fruity malt (Marris Otter?). The malt lends plenty of flavor, but nowhere near enough sweetness to distract from the bitterness on the finish (happily). The aftertaste is dry, chalky, and floral. Tasty beer, and a terrific representation of the style.

M: Fairly light body with ample, slightly prickly carbonation. Adequate, but not particularly special.

O: If I were grading this purely to style I'd probably bump this up half a point, but it reminds me a bit too much of all the terrible EPAs/Bitters that I drank in London a few months ago. Don't get me wrong, this beer would have made me crap myself if I'd found it on cask over there, and I really do enjoy it - I'm just not tempted to order another.

Cheers!

Earth Day EPA - Beer Camp #49 from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.