Panhandle Porter | Triple J Chophouse And Brew Co

Added by kojevergas on 08-20-2013

Reviews by ExaltedNecrosis:
3.75/5  rDev 0%

2.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I put growler as the serving type, but really I just have a sealed mason jar filled at the brewery; it's sort of their miniature growler to-go option. Kind of quaint. Mason jar acquired about 2 hours ago. Reviewed live in me hotel room in Lubbock. Expectations are somewhat high; I really liked the other two beers I had from Triple J.

Served cold - straight from the hotel fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a half finger head of khaki colour. Okay creaminess and thickness, but the retention and head are generally underwhelming; it only retains about 30 seconds. I'm seriously questioning the seal on that mason jar. No lacing.

Body colour is a solid opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Milk chocolate, chocolate malt, dark malts, cream, cocoa dust. A pleasant aroma of mild strength. Appealing and approachable. Looking forward to trying it.

No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable.

T: Chocolate malt, dark malts, cocoa dust. Hmph. No roast, coffee, or hop character. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. It's painfully simple. No complexity or subtlety here. Okay balance.

Below average depth, intensity, and duration of flavour.

Mf: Undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. Undercarbonated; that mason jar is a shite idea for a to-go vessel. Okay body. Okay thickness. Slight creaminess. Doesn't suit the flavour profile all that well; really disappointing.

Dr: Downable, but forgettable and pedestrian. Not up to par with the other beers I've had from this brewery. I wouldn't get it again or recommend it to friends. Subpar for the style. Meh.

Low C-