Wild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The Dynamite | Beau's All Natural Brewing Company

Wild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The DynamiteWild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The Dynamite
3.6/5

4.94/5  rDev +37.2%

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great beer. Light, refreshing, well balanced. A lot less sour thirteen alot of Gose I've had in the past!
Great offering from Beau's all natural and organic.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

Bottle: Poured a pale yellow color gose with a large foamy pure white head with good retention. Aroma of light tart notes with light wheat malt is more bland than I was expected. Taste is alight mix of tart notes, light lemon and some wheat malt. Body is light with good carbonation. Not bad but lack a bit of complexity.

2.29/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

I visited Goslar, Germany on a business trip in November 2012. I was thoroughly enjoying the beer every evening, generally going for dark wheat beers. Then one night at a small restaurant (micro brewery), my colleagues said "try this gose -it's special". The tartness immediately caused my mouth to water, much like grapefruit, then the saltiness and finish with coriander. It was epic, partly because I was not prepared for it.

This was a pivotal moment in my beer tasting life. I was so blown away like nothing I had experienced before (or since). I determined to find some back home in Canada.
That's when I learned that the restaurant I was in was one of only 3 in all of Germany (and consequently the WORLD) making authentic gose. One nearby brewery making their own version was Beau's, about 1 hour away. It was worth the trip and I discovered a lovely brewery but they informed me that the gose was sold out and only made periodically.

You can understand how excited I was to see it back this fall and my expectation was insanely high.

I'm sad to say I was totally disappointed. This is an ok beer but nothing like the real gose I had 3 years ago.

There is a faint saltiness but tartness is not there, some citrus but no coriander that I can detect and overall not in the same ballpark.

It's enjoyable in its own right, but if only I had not been exposed to the real thing! I wish gose was more well known so that I could get it here. I found only one other, from a little known brand that tasted like they just added vinegar to it.

Anyway, there's my review. All my friends who like beer have had to endure my raving about that time in Goslar. I really hope someone near me will produce a close imitation some day. Friggin hen's teeth...

3.78/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.34/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

600 mL bottle from the LCBO; one of several German-style beers in this year's Beau's Oktoberfest mixed pack. Bottled Aug 17 2015 and served well-chilled.

Pours foggy golden-yellow in hue, generating just over one finger of smooth, creamy-looking head. It displays a respectable level of retention, hanging on for roughly five minutes before it is ultimately reduced to a wide, foamy collar and bubbly, frothy cap. A gorgeous curtain of lacing is also deposited. The aroma is fairly subdued, with nothing immediately leaping out at me - there's some lemony citrus, wheaty malt sweetness and apple skin, with just a touch of subtle coriander spiciness.

Not what I would describe as intensely-flavoured. The flavour profile leads off with some grainy, wheaty malt sweetness, which serves as a constant background presence throughout the sip. Lightly fruity; green apple precedes a mild hit of lemony, pithy citrus goodness. Ends with a touch of coriander spice, and an even-lighter touch of sea salt; they both briefly hang on into the aftertaste, but nothing really lingers. Light in body, with assertive carbonation levels that actively carpet the tongue with a barrage of prickly bubbles. Feels crisp in the mouth, and is generally pretty refreshing. The bottom of the bottle was the tastiest part.

Final Grade: 3.46, a B-. I'm not going to pretend that I'm some sort of expert in the field of goses - I mean, I haven't had very many in the past. But the main thing that strikes me as odd about ...And Boom Gose the Dynamite is how dissimilar it is to the other goses that I've tried. The saltiness seems like an afterthought, and the sourness is so restrained that I could have easily mistaken this beer for another style entirely. Taken at face value as 'just a beer', this isn't terrible or offensive in any way whatsoever - but as a gose it simply does not inspire very much confidence at all. Not that great, and not really worth the price tag; kind of a disappointing way to celebrate 1100 ticks.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.06/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazed golden blonde, 2 fingers of white head, good lace. Smell is spicy and fruity, malty and slightly yeasty, orange and green apple, a very slight salinity comes through after about 15 minutes but this is more inline with a belgian table beer/grisette than any Gose I have had. Taste is fruity and spicy, coriander is easily detectable while the salt is nearly indistinguishable at all, reasonably dry, light in terms of any aftertaste. Medium-high carbonation, light body. As a Gose this is way off style and not very good, the product itself is OK and rather inoffensive and drinkable. They should have made up a style like they usually do for this beer because nobody would catch on to how off style this is that way.

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Wild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The Dynamite from Beau's All Natural Brewing Company