North Star Premium Lager | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by feloniousmonk on 08-17-2005

1.68/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Everyone around me was drinking this so I decided to give it a shot against a stern warming from my tongue, who hasn’t wanted to taste another Rock Bottom malt liquor since a bad incident in Cincinnati a few years ago.

First thought is holy yeasty yeast man! Is this an attempt at a zwickel? I hardly taste a bit of hops, heck, I don’t even get any barley in here. This brew is all dusty, powdery yeast. Somewhere deep inside its belly might be some lemon but I’m not even sure about that.

This clear, headless, yellow water is not worth the time it took to order and it's hardly a good example of the style. Someone pass me a High Life.

2.96/5  rDev +6.1%

Tasted On-Tap 09/14/05 at the Minneapolis, MN location.

Crystal clear straw color with a light white head, good carbonation, and good lace. Light grainy malt (bordering on adjunct) aroma and flavor. Light bodied and refreshing but pretty dull and not one I'd go back to.

Went OK as a starter and with the nachos...

3.57/5  rDev +28%

I know they sell a ton of this here, such is the taste among the local common folk for the lightest and the inoffensive-est. As far as that goes, this is quite nice.

Crystalline, clear, pure yellow, slim head. Typical.

Grainy, lemony nose, drizzle of honey.

Slightly gritty texture, very grainy, light hops. Mt. Hood hops were employed, and Pilsner malts. Very light in body, floats gently above the palate, but never drifts away completely. There's just enough going on to make it worth your while, if this is your cup of tea. Smooth, and oh, so, easy to drink.

This will surely be my one and only taste, as the lager style is low on my totem pole, and there are always tastier ales available at this location. (Hmmm, I'm not alone, as this has never been entered here?...) But it's here for the lager lovers who find themselves here against their will, or otherwise, and imagine anything heavier being a burden on their palate.

North Star Premium Lager from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery