The Hammer | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by palliko on 10-13-2006

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 8

On tap at the brew pub 5/29/2010.

Looks like a typical American IPA. Clear, dark yellow, tall white head that leaves some lacing but doesnt last long.

Aroma is nice and hoppy. I get an interesting balance of oranges/apricots and pine/weed.

Flavor is also nice and hoppy. I tried to pick out exactly which fruits I detected but it was hard to say. Definitely some orange flavor along with some pine flavors. I also pick up some sweetness and some stickiness.

Body is light/medium and dry. Pretty drinkable and enjoyable. Wouldn't mind having this again, just so long as it's not a night when the Lakers are playing.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this tonight on tap & would agree with everthing Palliko put his review about the brewer, a true loss & this beer is an example of why.

This poured semi-hazy brown with off white head. Very good lacing & pretty good head retention

S: Great hop smack & then hints of malt alcohol, + some fruittyness

T: Big piney hops come through in the taste, then rich malt. Then a pretty persitent alcohol burn comes through. Finishes fruitty, alittle hoppy & plenty warming

Drank okay despite the alcohol burn, this really worked for me. I hope the the RB finds a way to carry on the quality that has sprung from here

2nd tasting was much more to my liking & would've probably bumped this up a few tenths now that it's aged, but only had 1.5ozes of it

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

This is very sad! I just learned that the Brewmaster for all of the Colorado Rock Bottom Breweries, John Hanley, died this week. This beer was his last offering. I sat and talked with John on several occasions - and if you read my reviews of his beer, you will see what a brilliant brewer he was - a true master craftsman. This double IPA is no exception. The appearance is a cloudy golden color, the aroma is fruity and floral hops. Initial taste is an amazing blend of malt and hops. Let John speak for himself: "We used Horizon and Santiam hop varieties when we brewed this special ale. When I tasted it recently, I tasted apricot, some pineapple, maybe a hint grapefruit, and some floral notes in the hop profile. The color is deep gold. The Hammer is deceivingly approachable and smooth considering it weighs in at 9.0% alcohol and was formulated for 100 IBUs (for those of you as into beer as I am!)"

Well said! It has perfect carbonation, and a nicely dry finish that asks for more!

God bless you, John wherever you are, and bless your family. You will be missed my friend.

Jeff

The Hammer from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.