ESB | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

4.02 w/ 5 ratings

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by JamesS on 02-09-2011

Liked:
4.02/5
Alströms:

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at Rock Bottom Minneapolis.

Served in a pint glass with a finger of beige head. Decent retention with some splattered lace left. Color is a copper amber.

Aroma: British pale malts. Some grapefruit citrus. Floral hops. Fairly malty.

Taste: Much like the nose, it starts out with some British flavored pale malts. Then I get the same grapefruit citrus followed by some earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and smooth. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little sticky.

Overall, I wasn't the biggest fan of this esb. It wasn't as hoppy and bitter as I was expecting it to be. Seemed a bit malty.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Growler, poured into a pint glass. A nice dark copper brown with little to no head on it. Pours very smooth.

Smell: A nice strong bitter smell, not too overpowering, with a nice hop undertone.

Taste: I first tried this at the brewery and was leary on it due to it was an ESB, however, I was very pleasantly surprised with how all the ingredients combined and nothing overpowered the other. Has a nice bitter to it, but the kind that made me want another drink.

Mouthfeel: It's very smooth in the mouth due to a lack of lots of carbonation. There is a bitter hoppy feel to it, but it didn't get stronger or weaken.

Overall: Overall I was very pleased with this ESB. Enough so I bought 2 growlers of it, and I would definetly buy this beer again.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured an excellent copper color with very good head and lacing throughout. Very nice hoppy scent, slight citrus tones and a bit of Earthy hops. Excellent malt flavor with a great citrus hop finish. Goes down extremely smooth, I could have had several of these at one sitting.

ESB from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery