Stonehouse Apple Ale | C.H. Evans Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-14-2002

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
3.63/5  rDev n/a

Most of the time cider drinkers will find something to drink in your average beer bar or brewpub because in addition to the plethera of beers you'll find one or more ciders. At the Albany Pump Station there's ussually a guest tap with something from Woodchuck or another cider maker. With the Apple ale on tap they didn't have a cider on offer so I ordered a taste of the ale. It is most definitely an ale and bears little resemblance to a cider. I got a shot glass sized serving of it, and the first couple sips. It had a malty, full mouthfeel to my admittedly untutored palate. I went ahead and ordered a full pint but honestly didn't finish more than fourth of it. I think a beer drinker, especially someone who liked fruit beers, would really enjoy this, but for me it was a little challenging. I think I'd order another if they still didn't have any cider but I doubt I'd be having more than one.

4.32/5  rDev n/a

I have had the Apple Ale a number of times over the past two months. I did not know what to expect when I got it the first time, actually I think my wife thought it sounded interesting and got I got it knowing she would only want a sip or two. It was poured to a dark copper color with a slight white head. You can definitely notice a slight apple aroma in the nose, not over barring but it is there, while also noticing a nice malt scent. The flavor is heavy malt with a finishing apple taste, no hop characteristics, which is a good thing, not needed. This is a nice brew, not my normal type but one I have gotten a number of times so… Hope that it makes a reappearance next fall, seems like it would be a good seasonal.

Stonehouse Apple Ale from C.H. Evans Brewing Company