Smelter's Ash | Northern Ales & Grocery

Added by RedDiamond on 09-19-2007

20%

Reviews by flagmantho:
3.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: completely, entirely black, letting no light through at all. Head is two fingers of rich, creamy dark-tan foam with good retention. Brilliant.

Smell: light, roasty aroma of coffee and chocolate, rather like a good porter. A bit on the light and simple side for an imperial stout, though.

Taste: burnt, roasty flavor of black malt. Sweet, but balanced with roasty bitterness and some hop bitterness. Hops are mildly vegetal at the end. Decent, but again, pretty simple for an imperial stout.

Mouthfeel: big body with a large carbonation and wonderful creaminess and silkiness. Like the appearance, they hit the nail on the head vis-a-vis texture.

Overall: a good beer, but a bit lackluster in the imperial stout category. This beer could simply be ... *more*.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Only other review hopes they get this right...they got it right.

Bottle date: unk

A: pours black and thick. Three fingers of dark mocha head DOES NOT FADE. Plenty of thick lacing. Looks rich.

S: Graham, molasses, licorice, some cocoa, lots of rich dark malts. I'm really digging the profile here.

T: Plenty roasted, coffee, cocoa, licorice, bitter resinous hops. This isn't overly complex, but man, this is actually good. I am really surprised!

M: A hare thin for the style, a bit hi for the carb. Semi dry finish.

O: I can't not say this...This beer reminds me of Ten FIDY. My beloved Ten FIDY! Jesus Christ, I feel like a heretic.

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%

12oz bottle purchased at Bottles in Millwood, WA - I think - about six weeks ago. No freshness date.

Super dark in color, allowing no light to pass through. HUGE mocha-colored head that took forever to drop, leaving big, thick sheets of lace on the sides of my glass.

Dark malts and mollasses greet the nose, along with some dark fruits in the background.

A little more complex in the taste, this beer starts off with a chocolaty hoppy zap to the palate. Then the raisins, coffee and smooth maduro wrapper cigars kick in. The finish is rather dry but not harsh.

A little thin in the body, yet with a somewhat creamy mouthfeel.

A thoroughly quaffable Impy stout. I've forgotten the price but I don't believe it was too much. I was just about to write off Northern's bottle range due to previous experiences. I'm glad I didn't.

2.22/5  rDev -39.2%

I can’t say why, but for some reason I just wasn’t expecting an imperial stout as one of just four beers pouring at a brewpub that opened only two months previously. It seemed somehow out of place in this town of less than 500 people. But then I wasn’t expecting a basil honey beer either so… you never know.

Northport was once a mining town that dug for and refined lead ore. Lead is some pretty nasty stuff and it left an unfortunate legacy of environmental contamination that took decades of intervention to rectify. The town’s two smelters have long since fallen to the blast of demolition caps, but the legacy endures in the namesake of this potent black ale.

Regrettably, this beer is not worth drinking. It is too raw and aggressive and choked with medicinal phenols. The alcohol burns across the palate and it smells more like biofuel than beer. Hope they get it right next time.

Smelter's Ash from Northern Ales & Grocery