Raspberry Wheat | Chelsea Craft Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 10-16-2002

Reviews by TheJudge:
3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured with a nice slightly off white head, this is a cloudy unfilted dark amber wheat beer. It has a nice look to it, and a good raspberry smell, not overwhelming but definately there.
The taste is good as well. Nice and easy, refreshing. Again, while you note the berry, it does not overwhelm. Thesee is a slightly off aftertaste that I cannot quite put my finger on. I didn't notice it in any other beers today, so it must just be this one. I note it at the end, detracting from the mouthfeel. All in all, a nice beer for a hot day. I could sit outside with a pitcher easily.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

Hazed rusty amber colour with better than decent head retention. Light raspberry flavour and aroma with a mild tartness on the palate from both the fruit and wheat. Deep crispness with a hint of clove and grain in the back.

A very well made fruit beer without being sweet or oddly cloying like most are.

2.22/5  rDev -35.1%

Light appearance, smelled slightly like raspberry, but not overly so. Everything seemed fine, and then I took a sip. The taste did not sit well with me. It's a little sweet, but not sweet enough. It's a little hoppy, but not hoppy enough. Overall, it just left a bitter taste. Combine that with being a bit too carbonated, and I felt like I was drinking a bad soda. After one, I was more than done.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Too sweet and too fruity for my palate. It poured pale copper in color with a foamy head that never quite went away. The hops were sweetened by the raspberry flavor. The fruit was also noticeable in the aroma. And the finish too. I was hoping for a slightly more bitterness to the hops, but the raspberry was so overwhelming. Not that it was bad, but it tasted too much like I was eating the fruit itself.

3.57/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at the Brazen Head in Brooklyn.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, reddish copper. Topped by a thin head that leaves light patches of lace.

Smell: Just raspberries, but still pleasant.

Taste: Pretty standard for a wheat beer brewed with fruit. Some neutral graininess with raspberries to add some sweet and tart notes. There's a light bitterness, which was nice.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, grainy, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Pretty tasty and drinkable.

Raspberry Wheat from Chelsea Craft Brewing Company