DIS Dry Irish Stout | COAST Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States
coastbrewing.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Availability: Spring

An easy drinking stout, light in body but rich in roasted flavor.

Added by mikesgroove on 01-16-2009

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally dug up my notes on this one. Growler fill from - where else? the Charleston Beer Exchange.

A. Goes into my pint quite beautifully. Dark dark brown, capped with a fat, frothy tan head that leaves good lacing to boot. What's not to like?

S. Cool & simple, solid. Medium-low roasted grains, dry, earthy, tame. Needs to warm to sort of open up, but ultimately there ain't a lot here. Nothing wrong, just very basic.

T. Ah, here we go! DIS is a classic, bold example of the style. Roasty-mild grain with hints of chocolate, sugar sweetness and dare I say, smoke all swirl in a fairly thin, absolutely easy to drink ale.

M. Full, dry, crackling with flavor and exceedingly drinkable. A fine roasty sessionable beer from a simpler age. Outstanding. Perhaps the best Irish Dry Stout I've had. DIS needs to be on nitro-tap everywhere in Charleston, says I.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Got this one in a growler from Charleston Beer Exchange. Poured into a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick texture. There was a half inch of tan colored, long-lasting head and average lacing.

S: Smelled of chocolate, malt and coffee.

T: A decent, balanced taste of coffee, chocolate and malt. Not the most mind-blowingly complex of flavors but very tasty.

M: A good level of carbonation and a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable, easy to like beer. Well made and it goes down easy.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Purchased a growler of this last week at Charleston Beer Exchange. Pours a pitch black with a mocha creamy head.

Aromas are beautiful and filled with coffee, chocolate, burnt grains, roasty bread. Loverly.

Top notch taste as well. Slightly grainy and chalky but loads of chcoclate malts with coffee flavors and more of the light breadiness.

So smooth and creamy. The growler of this was gone in no time at all and I was yearning for another 64oz. Medium mouthfeel and slightly dry on the finish but not causing one to parch themselves. I have had just about everything from these guys and I have yet to be disappointed.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

I was thrilled to finally be able to try this beer this evening. I had been skirting by it for a few days and I was able to fully enjoy it while sitting at the beer exchange this evening. I have loved everything that has come out of coast, but this just shows how good they really are.

Jet black on the pour with a competely opaque darkness to it. Rich tan head of foam coming up and over the top settled down nicely into a thin veil of brown that overtook the entire glass with sticky lacing. Rich sweet aroma. Roasted malts coming through like I would only imagine they could .Super dark flavor here with rich notes of molasses like flavors in the finish and a dry feel that was spot on. Rich and creamy and really just sublime, I am blown away by how good this one really is. One of the best stouts I have had in as long as I can remember. I would love to find this one again anyday, and will be bringing home many a growler!

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. This looks right on. There's decent lacing and retention. The smell is roasted barley (coffee if you don't know). I really like it, but it's just about the same as any DIS. Really you can't get much else out of this, and i enjoy it. The taste is pretty much what a dry stout should be. There's roasted barley in the taste, and it finished very dry. You can kind of perceive some sweetness, but you can't squeeze too much sweetness just as the name implies. The mouthfeel is good. The carbonation level is right on and the dryness doesn't linger too long and the bitter malts aren't too harsh. Nice and full and chewy. This clocks in pretty high in ABV at around 6%, but you can't stop drinking it. But I've still got some work left ahead of me.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Got this in a growler from the Charleston Beer Exchange.

A - Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Pours black with chocolate syrup highlights and a brown head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S - Slightly bitter with some very faint notes of coffee and chocolate.

T - Roasted barley, little bit of hops, mild coffee.

M - Thinner than the appearance alone would suggest, but this isn't a knock, it serves to enhance drinkability. Slight carbonation.

Notes - COAST makes good beer, this I know, for my palate tells me so.

DIS Dry Irish Stout from COAST Brewing Company