Blastberry Wheat | Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works

Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works
Pennsylvania, United States
thebrewworks.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Summer

Added by NeroFiddled on 05-25-2003

2.95/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer poured out as a lightly hazy golden color with a thin white head on top. The lacing was minimal here and didn't really stick around in any shape or form. The smell of the beer had some light fruit notes, mostly berries came through for me I think. The taste I thought was a little on the weak side. They could have used just a bit more fruit I think or something to give this beer a little more of a kick. The mouthfeel was also on the light side and to me seemed a bit watery. OVerall Not the best from the Brew Works in my opinion.

3.32/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at the Bethlehem location.

Poured a medium and murky/cloudy peach color with a smaller sized head. Aromas of berries, fruity, and wheat. Tastes of the same berries (a bunch of different ones) and wheatiness. I found this to be refreshing after a long day out in the sun.

2.8/5  rDev -15.4%

part of sampler tray at the brewpub.
presented as cloudy amber color with slight white head. Smell is of berries and not much else. taste is of berries which to me overcomes any other taste sensation. Mouth feel leaves a berry sensation in the mouth. Not my type of beer.

3.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Taken from the brewery in my growler -- very reasonable growler prices here, by the way.

Pours a dirty, hazy, more-brown-than-amber hue into my pint glass. A small head raises up and settles down to a spotted film over the brew. This made for relatively decent down the glass later. Still, not the most attractive libation.

Aroma is sweet and tinged with vanilla bean, in the model of Magic Hat # 9, with acidic blackberries for balance and another dash of sweet blueberry skin at the end.

Taste is less sweet than the aroma indicated, with the blackberries coming out to be more assertive here. Still, this is not to say that it dominates the beer, as the bready malt balances everything out. Again, at the end, the blueberry character emerges once more, before a rather harsh and tannin-laced finish, which seemed out of place.

It should also be noted that the blueberry element was considerably more noticable as the beer warmed. There weren't really a lot of wheat characteristics in this ale, but then again, I don't really think that was the point.

Mouthfeel is thinner than I would have liked, but wasn't terrible. Carbonation was low (and that's going by the first pint, not later samples from the growler).

Drinkability was....eh, well, this didn't knock my socks off, and it's not that it's bad - but I don't know if I'd buy a growler again.

Worth a try, I suppose. Just don't go looking to be wowed.

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

This came out a nice clear dark amber with a bit of off-white head. It smelled of malt and fruit. The taste was surprisingly hoppy without the nice sourness you would expect from a wheat, and not as much fruit taste as some of the other offerings. Nice medium body, a little oily, yet a dry finish. This is not one I would try again in the future.

I forgot about this one. My g/f got a glass of this one when we were at Brew Works for her b-day around x-mas. It was a cloudy dark yellow colour with a nice, fluffy white head. It had the wonderful aroma of berries as well as german yeast. The taste was tangy, wheaty, clovey, and fruity. The mouthfeel was smooth and light and the drinkability was good as well. Another winner from BBW!

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%

This was a special beer. It poured out a cloudy pinkish coral color and had a thin white/pink head to it. Slight malt aroma with some subtle fruitiness.(raspberries) No real definite hop aroma detected, although. A light and somewhat malty body yet full flavored and slightly fruity beer. There is a detectable hop bitterness there as well. Also a bit of sourness from the fruit and possibly the wheat malt. An excellent summertime ale. Not too tart or sweet, really just right.

Blastberry Wheat from Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works