Rural People's Common Lager | Linden Street Brewery

Availability: Fall

Added by berkey on 10-07-2009

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
4.42/5  rDev n/a

Had this 10/03/09 at the Wet Hop Festival in Hayward, CA. 10 oz pour followed by a few more 6 oz pours. As I recall, the menu said the brewer used both dry hopping and wet hopping and included wild hops found around Lake Tahoe for this 'wet' version of their Flagship Urban People's Common Lager. I've listed it as seasonal as I suspect it will be back next year.

Body is a mostly clean light amber wth a slight haze. Forms virtually no head, which is surprising since well hopped brews usually have decent head retention. Leaves a small amount of soapy, filmy, lacing as I swish it around the glass.

Casts a great oily, floral, and slightly grassy aroma with just a slight hint of cannibus. Sweet and crackery malt profile holds everything together quite well.

Flavor mostly follows the aroma with more wild flowers and green, oily, leafy, goodness. Bitterness is asserting itself slightly more here and once again the light clean malt profile is up to the challenge of balancing it all out. Finishes extremely clean with the light yeasty character typical of the style coming through. Very clean and balanced, I would never have guessed this style would be such a great showcase for the wet hops.

This was one of the most drinkable beers I've had recently. Of all the great options I had at the fest this is one I kept coming back to. One of only two that I had more than one serving of actually.

Overall I'd say this is my favorite Linden St beer yet. Easily one of the top few beers I had that day. Common Lagers are an under appreciated style and I'm not sure if anyone is more excited than I am that a local brewer is trying new things with them.

Rural People's Common Lager from Linden Street Brewery