Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Iconic Double IPA | Hangar 24 Brewery

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev -1%

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Golden yellow brew with abundant white foam in the Rodenbach goblet. Aroma is musty and fruity with a mineral note. Flavor is grapefruit peel from the start. Hot and acidic mouthfeel with a friendly sudsiness.

Moderately sweet, alcohol taste is evident. Then it's a blsst of hops. So much hops it tastes of wood, tea, pitch, and citrus peel. Quite bitter, clinging aftertaste. An unruly monster that needs to be housebroken. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Barons Market in San Diego.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a single from Craft Beer Hop Stop 10/1/16 for $2.16. No bottling date found but it is probably not more than two months old and refrigerated at CBHS the entire time.

Beer poured golden orange with a nice white head initially.

Nose is citrusy and somewhat fresh.

Taste is pretty well balanced between the sweet malts and citrus and piney hops. There is a nice residual light bitterness in the finish and after taste that is done just right for my palate.

Feel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall a nice beer that i would have again! Paired well with a white bean chicken chili.

3.71/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I love IPA's and I recently purchased Iconic and decided to try it. I was amazed at the smoothness of this double. Excellent job H24!

4.13/5  rDev +4%

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

Serving type: on tap at the brewery

Pours a semi hazy golden straw color. Smell is of intense pine, grapefruit rind, light malt, and a slightly resinous scent. Smells pretty spot on for a west coast DIPA. Taste reflects the smell. Initial citrus bitterness and pine flavor lead into a slight bready maltiness that finishes with a lingering bitterness. It's heavy handed yet balanced. Feel is medium plus, semi-thick feeling with enough carbonation to fit the heavier flavors. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with solid aromas and flavors.

3.81/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great dipa, very hoppy smell. Great taste. I prefer Betty IPA more but this is also amazing

4.14/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

Challenging review because I unfortunately appear to have gotten a six pack that is 4-5 months. Hangar 24's lack of bottling dates is frustrating. From what I can discern this is a balanced double IPA without a major west coast hop bitterness. It's a fruit hop flavor complimented by honey sweetness. Too malty at this age though to really appreciate.

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty straight forward west coast DIPA.

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A: A good looking beer. Does not look like a double. Comes off a lot like their Orange Wheat. Mild hazy. Light yellow. Soapy head.

S: This is too well blended. One hop does not particularly shine through, which is a shame. This has some of my favorite hops of all time, simcoe, columbus, centennial, and citra. But the noise is extremely faint. Light oranges, pine, and yeast.

T: This tastes very light and almost nicely put together. Faint tastes of oranges, lemonade, and pine. What gets me is that yeast booziness. It reminds me of their first Double IPA. I just can't get passed this.

F: Extremely nice. Well put together. I love the feeling of this beer. Light, playful, and dry.

O: I hope they don't take this personal. I live in their city, I want to root and love them. Betty is an absolute favorite. But their DIPA current and retired including this one have a lingering boozy taste to it. This beer is mild and I'm amazed they incorporated all the ingredients into one beer. It's just all the quality ingredients mean nothing if I'm left feeling like I'm drinking a dollar Cobra at the end of every sip. Given this experience has happened with their other Doubles. I've come to the conclusion it's their yeast and the fermentation temperature of that yeast. I don't see this changing ever really, Hangar seems to love this in their beers. Maybe this is just not for me. As for casual drinkers, this is a good choice. I just can't get passed the booziness. And I know this is a high ABV beer, I am not knocking this. It’s just the more sugar to convert to alcohol, the bigger mess certain yeast leave behind. Personally in my DIPAs, I want that bubble gum feel. I want dank right off the bat and a flavor to match it. I think a good start to getting these flavors is unfiltering their beers. This beer is a step off from perfection. I love you hangar But given these are some of my favorite hops, I have to be honest, it’s just too mild to gather a cult following.

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy golden straw color. Nice foamy white head. Inviting citrus aromas with a hint of bread. Big bitter orange and grapefruit taste with an understated malt presence but enough for a big DIPA. Slight dankness and earthy tones.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast