Double IPA (Simcoe Dry Hops) | Hangar 24 Brewery

hangar24brewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by t0rin0 on 06-08-2010

4.12/5  rDev 0%

On cask at the brewery's second anniversary party 6/5/2010. As far as I know this is a one off but who knows, maybe they'll make it again after people either love or hate the regular version at Stone this weekend (Hoppy Fathers Day 2010).

Pours a vibrant orange color with some fluffy white head that laces the glass very well and sticks around. It doesnt score better in this category because of it's haziness.

Aroma is very fruity and hoppy. I have a thing for Simcoe hops so I may be biased here but I can really smell the over the top herbal/forest mixed with that grapefruitiness that is Simcoe.

Flavor is also quite nice. The dry hops don't do as much for the flavor as they do for the aroma but they do add a little something. Bitter citric fruit mixed with pine needles mask the booze and most of the malt. That's not to say that the beer doesnt have some sweetness though. Oh, and it's sticky.

Body is medium, maybe a touch heavier. This could probably stand to be dried out a bit but it's definitely drinkable where it's at now.

So I'm impressed, they managed to make a cask beer that I really enjoyed. They even managed to serve that cask beer in 100 degree weather.

Double IPA (Simcoe Dry Hops) from Hangar 24 Brewery