Winter Hop | Two Beers Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Two Beers Brewing Co.
Washington, United States
twobeersbrewery.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by beertunes on 12-17-2009

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 3
4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a muddy brownish-amber with a finger of eggshell head. Very malty aroma with lots of caramel and spicy grapefruit hop character.

Moderate carbonation and a sticky, creamy mouthfeel. Solid malt backbone with toffee and biscuit and a strong hop finish with long-lingering citrus and pine.

Full-flavored and slightly heavy, but nicely balanced and easy-drinking.

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draught at the Collins Pub, Winter Hop is ruddy brown with a small, light tan head that leaves a few lace rings.

Smell is skunky hops and sweet malt. I really appreciate the hoppy winter warmer, I never understood why these weren't the prevalent WW style here in the PNW, considering how much we love hops, and how boring basic winter warmers can be.

Taste is pretty good, not as robust a hop flavor as I was expecting from the name, and smell, as they mostly show up as bitterness, rather strongly in fact. Big hop flavor on the burps though, but kind of grassy on the palate, skuny resin as well. Don't get me wrong, the hops are the dominate flavor, but they come off muddled with the generic malt, kind of earthy.

Mouthfeel is dry, spicy, medium bodied.

Drinkability is ok, I love the idea of a hoppy winter warmer, but I was thinking something more along the lines of a malty CDA then this, which is not quite bright enough for me in the hop department, nor very exciting regarding the malt.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a dry-hopped version of TBs winter ale. I found no information on this or the base beer on breweries website, so if my style listing isn't correct, feel free to fix it. Since "Winter Ale" isn't really it's own style I'm taking some liberties here, all the numerical scores are based on what I'm guessing the style is. Please don't hit me, I'm a delicate flower.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a ruby-ish copper color with just under an inch of light tan/khaki head that had moderate retention and lacing that started out as sheets, that receded to faint squiggles.

The aroma was a pleasant blend of malt and hop, the sweetness upfront giving way to a clean hop spice. On the tongue that hop spice may have been boosted by actual spices. If so, it was done very well. That sweetness wasn't as noticeable in the flavor as in the aroma, malt was certainly given a lead role in this beer. There a good hop tang on the end that I've been told is Amarillo hop. As several of my favorite brews use Amarillo, this is ok by me. I also detect a slight peatiness across the tongue.

The body was very good. Full, smooth, multifaceted, not heavy and satisfying. Drinkability was also very good, I could settle in for several of these on a rainy, windy 4th Corner day.

Overall, a very good brew from one of the area's newest breweries. You should try it if you see it, and perhaps worth some effort to taste.

So, I decided to list this as a red/amber, but I almost went with Brown Ale, try it and decide for yourself.

Winter Hop from Two Beers Brewing Co.