Far Out IPA - Thai Tea | Bootlegger's Brewery

bootleggersbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Added by SoCalBeerIdiot on 04-17-2014

4.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Well this one is back!!!
On tap at Pizza Press, Fullerton, CA.
Pours dark straw in color, fluffy white cap that rises about 2 inches and then recedes to a nice, almost milky, thin layer of foam that stays around. Moderate lacing.
Smell is like the base beer, slightly pithy grapefruit bitterness with some pineapple juice as a buddy, but hints at tea. Hmmm, this is getting interesting.
Flavor is an amazing blending of the citrusy-to-floral base beer, but there is an amazing tea flavor. I expected the creaminess that I find in Thai iced tea. That is NOT what is going on. Dud? Reread the menu! It says Thai Tea, not "Thai iced tea." Probably a good thing. I can't imagine how a tropical, bitter, hoppy beer would be with Thai iced tea. The tea flavor is subtle. Which must be very difficult to construct due to the strong hop profile of Far Out IPA. Frankly I am amazed at this variant. The tea is so subtle but so discernible. Quite nice.
Mouthfeel is crisp, finishes slick. Moderate to high carbonation.
Overall, I think Bootlegger's nailed this one. I'm assuming it took a lot of experimentation to find that sweet spot between subtle tea flavors and omnipresent hops.

4.5/5  rDev 0%