Goliath - Blacklist Collection No. 0002

4.01 | pDev: 25.94%
From:
Black Market Brewing Co.

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 7 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Mitzvahman72 from California

1.7/5  rDev -57.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

With a cloudy mahogany to copper color, it has some dark bread malt and apricot flavors, but it’s overpowered with a ridiculous amount of bitter hops that doesn’t match well with the beer. Even after it settled for a few days, it is STILL too bitter, even alcoholic, for the style! The way the beer was advertised, I was expecting an outstanding, malt-forward beer for its style. Overall, this was a disappointment that collapsed on its own weight! I would recommend the Dark Truth from Boulevard Brewing, the Westbound and Down and Mad Dub and even the Groupie from Acoustic Ales Brewing Experiment, St. Thomas Belgian Abbey Ale from Potosi Brewing and, if you’re lucky to find it, the Shegöat from the Bruery.

May 26, 2016
flagmantho from Washington

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: extremely dark brown hue which shines a hazeless ruby when held up to the light. Head is a finger of frothy tan foam which subsides rather quickly. The color, though, is magnificent.

Smell: sweet malt with a little breadiness, a little caramel, and maybe just a dash of tartness. It reminds me of a nice subtle dubbel; I dig it.

Taste: very much like a dubbel with a yeasty, bready sweetness and just a little bit of chocolatey roast to it. It's super smooth, as well, which I like.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a very big carbonation and a highly satisfying creaminess.

Overall: this is a really good beer indeed, falling somewhere between a BSDA and a dubbel. These are not always my favorite styles, but this beer really works for me.

Dec 18, 2015
mactrail from Washington

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smooth and winey brew that makes its own category. You can't say it's like any other Belgian-inspired beer you've had. This is a little hoppier than normal for the style, at 30 IBUs and hopped with Magnum. It's just the right bittering for this. Strong but so well balanced.

I started to say this has as good a wine barrel flavor as I've had, but I don't see any indication this has ever been in oak. Yet it does have that mellow, aromatic, woody taste that is just delirious. Beautifully sudsy with a dark red-brown clear color in the Bacchus tumbler. Slightly sweet, but more like a medium-dry Port. A touch of dried apricot. I could go on, but it does have a fascinating complexity along with an elegant restraint.

I think this is one of the best beers I've had in a long time. It is such a nice change from the syrupy Imperial Stouts that so many breweries reach for. From the 22 oz bottle purchased from the brewery tasting room in Temecula.

Mar 12, 2015
Totalpackage411 from California

I'll be honest, this beer straight up got me buzzed hard! I've had beers with higher alcohol content but this beer had me on a good one. Other than the IPA's from black market this was probably the best beer I had from them. Definitely get this one if you can find it, I got my bottle from the actual brewery.

Mar 02, 2015
Goliath - Blacklist Collection No. 0002 from Black Market Brewing Co.