Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Love Child Belgiweizen | Good People Brewing Company

4.92/5
World-Class

Good People Brewing Company
Alabama, United States
goodpeoplebeer.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Combining a Belgian yeast with traditional Bavarian Weizen yeast produce a truly unique beer. A large, yet not overly complex malt bill, plays second fiddle to the yeasts on display. The esters produced by the weizen yeasts are very pronounced in the aroma while pushed aside by the spicy phenols fruity esters of the Belgian yeast in the flavor with noble and American hops providing a little balance.

Added by Bonhoeffer on 09-24-2009

Reviews by Bonhoeffer:
4.85/5  rDev 0%

Well, I just had to pick a style from the predefined list, but in reality this may be the first of its kind. It defies classification. So I picked the closest thing.

The scoop on this beer is that Malone took a Belgian strong ale malt and hops bill, then fermented in primary 50/50 with hefeweizen yeast and a Belgian yeast strain. Color is a bit darker than any Belgian strong pale I've ever had, but not quite as dark as most Belgian strong darks I've had. A bit amberish, really. I figured that was more in line with BSD so that's where I put this, as BSD is a massive, all-encompassing sort of category.

If someone handed me this beer without telling me what it was, the aroma and appearance would lead me to think it was a dunkelweizen with too much clarity. It is not cloudy. But the aroma definitely tips you off to the hefe yeast.

Amazingly, on the first sip the hefe character seems to vanish and the Belgian yeast takes over. If I had to pick one familiar beer style to compare the flavor to, I'd say Belgian quad. Incredibly complex, with tons of spiciness and fruity esters. Some raisin and a little apple. Heat from the alcohol that makes all the flavors pop and brings the whole thing together. Yet the whole time, there's that dunkelweizen whispering in your ear, saying "don't forget about me." And I didn't. It was there, weaving in and out.

A groundbreaking brew. Remarkable, memorable, and a treasure for this town, with still but one local brewery. This batch was only FIVE GALLONS. Here's hoping he brews a full batch SOON.

5/5  rDev 0%

Not sure if I would have put this into the BSD style, but I totally agree that it is beyond styles available on beeradvocate.com.

First off, it's not dark enough to be a BSD, but then again, it's darker than a Belgian Pale. It is a bit darker than an amber ale, but only by a tiny bit. This is by no means a cloudy beer. Would have to agree though that the nose is definitely hefe.

Obviously, this doesn't fit into any German styles either although it does have the Weizen tag. I'm thinking hefe, but that quickly fades into Belgian after the first taste.

The high ABV is definitely noticeable, but well placed.

This beer is an enigma. Great beer and very unique. My compliments to the chef!

Love Child Belgiweizen from Good People Brewing Company