Wee Heavy | Good People Brewing Company

Added by Bonhoeffer on 01-27-2012

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 3
Reviews by Bonhoeffer:
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

This was brewed in a small batch at the request of the folks at the J. Clyde for their Burns Night dinner. I expect we'll see it come around again.

It's pretty spot on for the style. Super malty and caramelly. A bit sweet. I'd like maybe a hint more smokiness, but regardless, it was incredibly solid. Not too boozy, almost scary drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: dark brown with subtle red highlights. Thick, clingy head that lasted all the way down to the bottom of the glass.

Taste: rich, sweet, caramelly, but not cloying.

Smell: caramel predominated.

Mouthfeel: very deceptive, it hides its 7.5% very well making this an eminently quaffable beer. I wouldn't try to session it, even though you might think you could!

Had as part of a one-off brew for a Burns Night dinner at the J Clyde. Those of us who have had this beer all expressed the same hope, that Good People will make this a part of their regular line-up.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tried this beer at the "Rythym & Brews" craft beer festival this past weekend. The samples were laid out on the table in rows in small cups, so the beer had time to breathe and warm a little bit. It was not quite room temperature when served. I don't know much about craft brews, but I'll try any beer once, and I tend to enjoy darker, richer beers (stouts, brown ales, etc.), so anyone with suggestions for a god brown ale, stout, scotch ale, or similar brews, please let me know.

It was in a small cup when I sampled it, so I have no idea how the head looks or how long it takes to dissipate.

Aroma was a little smoky, with stronger notes of sweet caramel and a tad of roasted maltiness. There were some other subtle flavors my nose couldn't identify, but I could tell right away it was something I'd enjoy.

Taste was great. Light carbonation, a taste of sweet caramel, but not overbearing. A good roasty malt flavor evened things out.

This is definitely one I'll be picking up from the package store when I see it.

Wee Heavy from Good People Brewing Company