Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Warmer Winter Winter Warmer - Dragonfruit | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Added by tpd975 on 12-18-2009

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Again, thrilled to be able to tackle another one off from CCB. If I only could get them all, what I would not do to have these coming at me every day! Served cold and poured into a snifter, repeatedly. This one was consumed on 02/19/2010.

The pour was a hazy light amber color, almost he color of pineapple juice but a touch light. Small head of white sat on top for a short time before fading off into the distance, never to be head of again. Really nice aroma here. Sweet, very fresh, ripe fruit notes coming across right away follow by a bit of boozy alcohol and an almost grape like aroma. Warming brought out some more nice touches of grain and more booze. First sip really threw me. Fresh juice and fruit dominate here right away before you get smacked with the big boozy nature of it. I really like the way it worked though. This was quite different then most other old ales I have had to be honest. Not that sweet toffee and butterscotch flavor but rather a boozy, fruit taste that really took it in a whole different direction. Wonderful carbonation, especially given the style, though it was quite strong, I was feeling this one after a bit for sure, I still kept it going and the semi dry finish just kept sucking me back in.

Overall a very good beer. Very intresting and unique but I have to admit I really, really liked it.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Served at NoHo Bistro Beer Dinner.

A: Pours a reddish hue with tones of pink showing through. Really looks nice in the glass. Nice tight creamy head and some light lace.

S: Nice sweet fruity aroma. Light caramel and toffee as well.

T: The standard brew has a big citric hop component. The fruit really killed the hops turning this into a totally different beer. Lots of sweet fruit. Apples and pears. Hints of light sweet cherry. Nice bold fruity and malty sweetness.

M: Medium, smooth, tasty.

D: Good