Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

Ratings: 2,272 |  Reviews: 507
4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cigar City Brewing "White Oak Jai Alai"
12 fl. oz. can, "CANNED 02/2818 MADE IN TAMPA 3105"
$2 @ Wegmans, Collegeville, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Wow, I'm really surprised that I can actually smell the oak in this, I figured the hops would over-ride it. DOH! Of course though, right, it just dawned on me that this beer is aged and thus the hops would have diminished. In fact, I wonder if they skip dry-hopping altogether. It really seems like another beer altogether - I wish I'd been smart enough to buy one to taste side by side. Oh well. So, for appearance, it's quite hazy, and golden-amber in color beneath a creamy head of white. The head retention is excellent and it's left some very nice lacing about the glass. I'm getting some malt in the nose, and a bit of fruity hops, but the oak really dominates. It's a very smooth and pleasant oakiness as well; sometimes oak can be a bit brash or raspy but that's certainly not the case here. And that carries over into the flavor. It's very smooth. And at the same time it's also quite clear, which is interesting. I suppose that has to do with the use of white oak; and I also notice that the label reads "RESTED ON White Oak" which I assume means that it's done with staves and not barrels, which in my mind is really the way to go. Back to the beer, the citrus that's usually there remains, although it seems toned down, and there really are notes of coconut and vanilla as the label suggests. I get the malt and citrus up front, and then the coconut and vanilla in the finish, and I think it's also very interesting that they seem to separate themselves, as in fruit, then coconut/vanilla, and then just a little bit of residual fruit lingering - citrus, then citrus plus coconut and vanilla. That's nice, it makes it more interesting, and to be honest, I'm not sure it would even work if everything got all muddled together. Another thing is bitterness. The label lists it at 65 IBUs, and I totally believe that, but it doesn't seem like that up front. Not unlike the rest of the beer it seems very smooth, and you don't really notice that bitterness until you've had a few sips and it becomes a little more apparent in the finish. Nice. I'm really kind of blown away by this. I was expecting a variant, not a whole new beer. So, OK, what did I miss. Mouthfeel: remarkably smooth with a medium, seemingly almost medium-full body and fine bubbled median carbonation. I wonder if the oak is adding something to that as well, I wouldn't be surprised. I've got to get more of this, it's that good! Worth seeking out for fans of wood aged beers and IPAs alike. Superb!
Review# 6,010

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear amber with a one finger head

Aroma of grapefruit, pine needle and vanilla

Flavour follows with a pungent oily bitterness, seems aggressive in this now NEIPA world. The barrel aging make the whole thing smoother but isn't really good for drinkability in this case.

The carbonation is fine and moderate.

Overall a bold IPA. The oak could be more prohiminent to balance the bitterness of the beer

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

4.03/5  rDev -4%

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

As a long time fan of Jai Alai, I somehow never got around to this one. Excited to finally try it.
Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color. A large frothy head retains well, and yields thick foamy lacing.
As with the regular Jai Alai, there are strong citrusy aromas and peach. However, the added twist is that the oak aging adds a delicious aroma of vanilla, even a hint of cherry, that takes over. The malt profile hints at caramel and toffee; a bit unlike the regular version.
The taste is very similar to Jai Alai in that the hops impart juicy and citrusy flavors of grapefruit pith and bitter oranges, as well as peach, that play off of the sweetness of the toasted grains and caramel malt. There is also the prickly feel and taste of pine needles and grass. The finish is bitter, dry and redolent of pine resin; very dank.
The big difference is the mouthfeel. It is as medium bodied as Jai Alai, however, the carbonation seems gentler and the mouthfeel is smoother. The hops bitterness seems more restrained.
I was quite pleased with this version in that it provides a smoother contrast, as well as highlighting the malts a bit more. Jai Alai 6 packs are a staple of my fridge, however, I could see myself throwing this one in there every now and then.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz can courtesy of beerloserLI and his strike of (mostly) aluminum warriors. Canned on February 22, 2018 per the stamp on the bottom of the can. My first Jai Alai, first Cigar City beer, and my first beer from the state of Florida.

Poured into a shaker pint, this is a thoroughly chill hazed coppery amber color, with a good sized, sudsy white head that left plenty of lace.

Nose is more restrained than I was expecting. Tropical fruit like hop aromas, coconut and vanilla notes from the white oak, just as promised in the description on the can, but more muted than I was expecting.

As it warmed up, this made me think of some sort of dessert that features peaches, vanilla and coconut. Totally unique flavor. Quite malty. At it's hoppiest at the swallow, which was sharp and dry.

Medium bodied, with a creamy mouthfeel-a first for me when drinking an IPA.

Totally unique beer. Way more malty than I am used to for an IPA, but the white oak aging gave it such a unique flavor that I didn't mind. Now I'll have to somehow get another of this AND the standard version and do a side-by-side. Don't know if I could session this, but as a one-and-done, it's delicious. Thanks, Brian!

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear orange, with fine head that leaves oodles of pretty lacing on the glass.

Smell is piney and citrusy with hints of cedar wood and a little bit of perfume.

Taste is floral, with a bit of cedar again, and finishes with a load of pine and citrus, and a perfectly balanced bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, well carbonated.

Overall, a very good, and interesting, IPA. The wood notes make it stand out.

4.79/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bright citrus notes combine with the amazingly smooth body of Jai Alai IPA. The White oak treatment in this really turns an already drinkable IPA into the perfect beach companion. Probably one of my favorite IPAs I've ever had.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Can. From Labirratorium. In Teku glass. Playing Life os Strange Before the Storm. Absolute balance between soft oak notes and the ipa ones, being really crushable in spite of its abv, which is really concealed. Masterpiece

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Seems to me that the "oak" masked the tropical flavors that I like in the regular Jai Alai. I can taste the malt, but no tropical. I can't taste the oak either. This was in an aluminum can. Not bad but not for me.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing