Big Sound Scotch Ale - Cherry Wood Aged | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by tpd975 on 07-15-2010

4.45/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to Wayne for sharing with me this experiment as well as the prototype of White Oak-aged Jai Alai. I am more than happy to be a CCB guinea pig. In fact, I nominate myself for that role officially.

Anyhow, on to the beer...

A - The wood aging did not change the appearance. It is still a deep russet-mahogany, hazy, with creamy tan froth.

S - Compared to the standard Big Sound, the nose on this exhibits less spiciness and more of a nutty and oatmeal-ish aroma. The toffee sweetness and touch of smoky peat found in the base beer remains.

T - The treatment has caused the flavor to shift discernibly from a rich toffee-based malt flavor in the case of the base beer, to a sweetly nutty and earthy taste in the variant. Case in point, both brews feature notes of hazelnut; in the base brew, the hazelnut is expressed in a cocoa-chocolate sense like Nutella, in the variant it comes across as a much lighter note similar to hazelnut flavor of Frangelico. It tastes quite good, but I think I prefer regular Big Sound slightly.

M - Big, creamy, smooth, lightly carbonated.

D - Big Sound is some good stuff.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Zack for letting me know this one was on draft at CCB.

A: Pours nice deep vibrant red with a nice solid tan head. Pretty good retention and some lace noted.

S: Wonderful rich sweet aromas. Tons of caramel and gooey toffee. The aroma is very sweet, almost a malt overload to your senses.

T: The wood did not add much of a "woody" quality to the beer but it did change it quite a bit. The depth of sweetness is much more refined. Tons of sweet candy malt with hints of sweet fruit. I picked up a touch of vanilla, and notes of molasses and brown sugar to go along with the caramel, and toffee I picked up in the nose.

M: Feels rather full in body. Nice and sweet from start to finish but not a cloying type of sweetness.

D: Not the most drinkable of brews for me, but it is very tasty and enjoyable. Like what the cherry would did to this one, pretty interesting take on the beer.

Big Sound Scotch Ale - Cherry Wood Aged from Cigar City Brewing