Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by Alieniloquium on 06-11-2013

Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 91
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on tap recently. It was true to the horchata drink in taste and smell. All the flavors that I would have expected were there, and tasted great. The alcohol was well hidden. While the taste was right on it was a little too sweet for me on a hot summer night in Florida. I had trouble finishing my glass but my GF was more than willing to finish it for me. I think I would like to revisit this in the fall or winter.

4.09/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was on tap at Kickbacks in Jacksonville during a recent trip. Served in a tulip via a nitro delivery. It appears a clear pale yellow with a rich meringue of a white head.

The nose on this is quite muted but smells milky sweet with hints of cinnamon as it warms up. The taste is equally sweet with a mild spice like cinnamon and hints of citrus and pear-apple fruity qualities.

This is light bodied but creamy from the nitro. An absolutely crushable offering that I could see myself throwing back a few of. To be fair, ive only encountered 2 horchata inspired brews to date and I have enjoyed both quite a bit. It satisfies the sweet tooth.

2.64/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Had on nitro tap in a pint glass. Very sweet. Vanilla overpowers everything. Reminds me of Chai tea. The nitro was interesting, and it wasn't undrinkable, but I can't see ordering ti again. Especially with food, the sweetness was too much. Just not what I was looking for. I was excited to try Cigar City, as we don't get it around me and I've only heard good things, and I didn't realize that "Horchata" is a traditional Mexican drink that they were basing the beer on - so, I don't deny that they did a good job at emulating that drink. However, just not for me.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I tried this on tap at Barley Mow, served chilled in a nonic.

The color is golden with hazed clarity and 2 finger of head with froth o' nitro. The smell is great -lost of sweet and spice with slight grainy odor and cinnamon with light floral quality and mild alcohol scent. The feel is thick with light sweetness and spicy body with low alcohol in the back as it finishes spicy and sweet.

The taste has a big malt presence with sweetness and adjunct taste of rice with light alcohol in the middle with earthy spice with slight yeast flavor and creamy cereal effect as it finishes semi-sweet. This tastes very much as expected to with horchata quality coming through with a good spice flavor and this pays tribute to the non-alcoholic version well but halfway in the alcohol does seem to come through even though it is refreshing and very drinkable.

4.66/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had this for the first time at WOB last summer. I was completely surprised by how delicious it was the first time I had it. Having literally waited a year for its return, I wondered if it would be as good as I remembered. This review is based on the second time around. I was not disappointed.

This beer was served (nitro) on tap in a tulip glass. The color is an almost luminous, hazy gold, with a thin pale head. The aroma is not overpowering, with moderate waves of cinnamon, maybe nutmeg, and vanilla. The beer is sweet, with a moderate mouthfeel. The beer almost has a mead-like quality to it. (Honey wine) I think that the sweetness is needed with the flavor profile. There is very little bitterness on the back end, which makes you want to go back to the next sip. Hard to drink slowly.

I enjoy most every kind of (good) beer, from stouts to ipas, from lagers to strong ales. I find this beer refreshing and delicious. Keep your mind open, and you will find a lot to enjoy with this beer.

3.29/5  rDev -12%

I got it at the same place as the guy who reviewed right before. We were probably in the bar together.. Seems like this beer is not quite yet retired.

I have a feeling they were going for this, but this beer was far too sweet for me. Really smooth with the nitro, but that kind of made it taste like a flat soda to me. If you like sweet, sweeter than hefe's and such, you'll like it. Just not for me.

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On nitro at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Holy Mole! This is an incredible brew. Right up front you get the corn. Then the vague vanilla comes in, but the overriding characteristic is the magnificiently smooth mouth feel. Yes, I know this Nitro keg was a rare bird, but damn; if you half every aspect this still remains one of THE most surprisingly enjoyable beers I've had in a very long time.

Let everything go & say "do I want a refreshing drink right now" & if the answer's YES, seek out this beer.

I simple can't say enough about it.

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On Nitro at the House of Brews in Jensen Beach

A – Slight golden/yellow pour with a fairly aggressive stark white head produced from the nitro.

S – Light fruits like orange and lemon, vanilla.

T – Immediately reminded me of the fruit slices you get at your local grocery store. Mix of tropical fruit taste with a chase of vanilla. Just a bit of the sweet side but not cloying. No alcohol taste at all. Remins me of drinking fresca or sprite.

M – Creamy with a light to medium body. Finishes very cleanly and leaves no trace on the palate.

O – Well I was skeptical of this but this was a winner for me. It is not my typical beer type but on a hot summer day this is a refreshing brew. Clean, easy drinker and taste great ice cold.

4.06/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

On tap. I thought this beer was a great take on horchata. It was a sweet beer but I didn't think it was overly sweet. I was also expecting a sweetness as horchata is usually sweet. I think this particular beer needs the sweetness, just my opinion. The nose was very similar to the taste although I think the "horchata flavor" came through more in the taste than the nose. Somehow the beer has a super creamy flavor while remaining mostly clear and a pale yellowish color. Taste is delicious, no hint of any alcohol. Very similar to horchata with a nice hint of a light refreshing beer taste in the background. Quite easy drinking although this is not a beer I would want to drink every day and definitely not a session beer.

Overall I liked it and would buy it again. Something different that I would recommend to anyone, even non beer lovers as this beer is like nothing I have ever tasted before.... except horchata ;)

3.39/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. Had on-tap at CCB tasting room. Served in a pint glass.

A: Somewhat hazy gold, with a finger and a half's worth of white foamy head and minimal visible carbonation.

S: Grainy, fleshy fruits, lightly tart, and some spices (cinnamon? nutmeg?).

T: Sweet candied fruit, grainy bready malt, coconut or maybe coconut milk, vanilla. And a flavor that I associate with powdered sugar - a strange flavor to find in any liquid. Not a whole lot lingers after the swallow - just a bit of sweetness.

M: Medium body, sticky chewy mouthfeel, and low alcohol presence, especially for the listed ABV.

O: Not altogether bad, but significantly too sweet for my taste.

2.37/5  rDev -36.6%

On tap at Vine & Barley Palm City. Served in a tumbler.

Appearance - Clear golden body, slight haze. No head. Thin collar.

Smell - Lots of vanilla. Some pale malts. Don't get much lactose out of it.

Taste - Sweet. Not refreshing at all, really. Vanilla most prominent and now I get the lactose. Cinnamon spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Funny medicinal aftertaste. I can't put my finger on it, but I keep going back to figure it out. Like a car accident you can't turn away from.

Overall - I'm not getting it. I'm not familiar with a horchata, but this doesn't make me want to know more. Saving grace is that it isn't undrinkably bad, just bad.

Cervezas Frescas: Horchata Ale from Cigar City Brewing