Awaken Stout | Trinity Brewing Company

trinitybrew.com

Style: American Stout

Added by Oxymoron on 10-10-2008

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewhouse, which is is near the Garden of the Gods. My hotel was right down the street and I slept poorly. The altitude has murdered me. I wake up gagging blood, my head rushing from nightmares and oxygen deprivation. I tossed and turned from 5 until 10, then slept for two more hours until a knock informed me it was time to check out.

What I'm getting as it that even though Trinity don't open until noon, their coffee stout was absolutely essential to my morningtime wellbeing.

It smells more stouty than like a cup of coffee, which is a bit of welcome change considering the aggressive roastiness of most contemporary coffee beers. I mean, I still like the way those smell, but it's nice to go back to the old school once in a while.

Tastes like beans and barley. Medium roast coffee up front, rough stout grain in the middle, dry hops and lingering coffee bitterness at the end. A little under-aggressive by contemporary standards, but that actually makes for a better morning beer, imho. The only knock is that the body is just a little bit thin.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%

Ive loved Trinity Brewing since I first tried them out a few years back. Awake is a decent example of a coffee stout, but to make this one a little better it has chicory root into it. Overall it has a great flavor profile, but last time I got this in a corney keg it was a wee bit thin in my opinion, it has so much potential to be an amazing stout though and I very much think that if you come across this beer, pick some up and definitely give it the old taste test. 3.25/5
O.B.D91

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

2.85/5  rDev -23.6%

Tasted thin and watered down. Compared to others in this style I wasnt impressed.

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a nonic pint the pour produces a quarter finger of chewy, dark-khaki colored lace over an ebony body. Very good to look at. 4.25

Abundant coffee on the nose with an earthy, woody and somewhat spiced touch. Espresso levels of potency but there's also a sweet and creamy side to this brew. 4.25

Coffee still figures prominently on the palate but with less bite than I'd expect and the same woody, earthy notes given on the nose. With some warmth a pronounced vanilla flavor pops up and adds a nice dimension. The flavors here seem delicate and emphasizing restraint but I'm left wanting a bit more taste, both from coffee and malt. 3.5

The body is very light here and I feel this has an affect on the flavor, leaving it less rich and creamy than I'd want. But on the flipside, it's an exceptionally easy-drinking coffee stout with a number of flavors, so there's certainly a trade-off. 3.5

It's a good game day beer I think. Something I can put back in good amounts for sure. I'd probably make it a go-to if in Colorado Springs.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

4.02/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Excellent in the glass, black with a great off-white head that left thick, heavy sheets of dense lacing and lasted forever.

A bit of an extra shot of burnt aromas (one of my favs in a stout), plus coffee, chocolate, roasted and toasted notes. more notable in the aroma and somewhat muted in the taste, tho the taste is still real nice.

Body is thick and typical of the rare instances when you can actually get a nitro pour. I got a growler of this too, but chose to do the review on the nitro version.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%