Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lord Chesterfield Ale | Yuengling Brewery

Lord Chesterfield AleLord Chesterfield Ale
2.95/5
Poor
Lord Chesterfield AleLord Chesterfield Ale

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2002

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

Eastern PA born and bred, Yuengling is in my DNA. I love all their beers, but Chesterfield has always been my least favorite. Always had a slightly too skunky smell and even taste for my liking. I've still drank hundreds of these, but that would amount to many many less than the other Yuengling brews.

2.76/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours pale yellow with a thin, short lived head. Sweet corn adjunct aroma and taste, thin malt, noticeable hop presence with a short finish. Whoever said this is what you buy instead of Budweiser, not instead of a craft ale, was 100% correct. Whoever drank the Yuengling Kool Aid and thinks this is a world-class beer should understand a few things: 1. First of all, it's called an ale because it's made with ale yeast. 2. People aren't down-rating it because of the name. They are down-rating it because of its adjunct flavor and aroma, which is the thing that puts people off of beers like Budweiser and is very much present in this beer. 3. If you think people should judge beer based on how painlessly it can get you drunk, you should probably express your opinions elsewhere and not in a place populated with "beer snobs" (a label that I consider a compliment) who will think you're an idiot. Not the worst beer out there, but the fact that they want $8.29/6-pack in NOLA for this when you can get St. Arnold or Abita for $7.99 is laughable. This is not an underrated beer, unless you don't know any better or are a Yuengling cult member.

3.7/5  rDev +25.4%

Underated. Great session ale.

2.55/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

3.98/5  rDev +34.9%

Unpretentious and finely carbonated, it smells like Chesterfield, pours like Chesterfield and drinks like Chesterfield, a British style ale through and through. Slightly bitter taste, sweet finish. Like an underrated goalie, way better than the reviews by the "experts in the stands" but hey, I'm just some guy enjoying beer over here. I bet if Yuengling called itself a "craft brewer" and doubled the ABV its reviews would be higher.

3.81/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.29/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

3.97/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Crystal clear, pale straw to orange color, 1/2 inch white head, good lacing down the glass

S: Straw, grass,

T: Sweet malts, cracker, bread, hop bitterness comes in middle of taste, finishes with lingering sweetness

M: Medium to light

O: Not a bad beer from a great brewery. Their amber lager is my go to for superior taste, availability and price and this beer has many of the same attributes. A different taste than the amber lager but still packed with flavor. Definitely has a place in my rotation if I see it again.

3.9/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've just recently come back to this beer to test out Yuengling's offerings beside the ever-present (in PA) lager. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by Chet. It's been years since I've tasted it, with many very fine IPAs and ales since then, and my first impression this time around was that this was a really nice estimation of a British-style ale. Admittedly, I like to growler my beer to soften some of the fizz, which I find unnecessary if there's any flavor. And like the Yuengling lager, this ale is much better served with a little less fizz. There's a little mild bitterness (my wife, an IPA fan, had a sip and was pleasantly impressed), but this is not an aggressive brew. I'd characterize it as mellow, and yet there are some nice fruity notes and a little bit of malty back end. I happened also to have a Chet with a cold cut hoagie, and I was really struck by how nicely it went with food, seeming even a little sweeter with the saltiness of the sandwich. Though I know this may not be what those who like strong, heavily hoppy brews are looking for, if you miss British ales, I encourage you to give it a taste. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2.34/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured cloudy with minimal head. Smelled skunky but I gave it a chance. Hard to drink. I did not realize this was a Yuengling product till after the beer was poured.

3.82/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.18/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer is just awful. I couldn't drink it at 18 and at 51 its still the same. The beer has no character whatsoever. Its bland, tasteless, and weak. This beer has no redeeming qualities, except that its cheap, but I would rather drink any other beer then this.

2.34/5  rDev -20.7%

Disappointed in this beer. I am a big fan of Yuengling beer, however, this beer is not on their good list. No hopps and no body whatsoever. Will not be purchasing it again.

3.4/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.7/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent beer. Snobs pan it because they are obsessed with only how strong the hops is. I don't like overbearing whiskey taste of a strong IPA. This ale is delightful because it DOES have a nice hop bite to it, but it does not totally dominate the taste. The beer is very crisp and with an edge, but even light at the same time. I love the way it looks in the bottle. I wouldn't get the can, actually, I might even suspect this beer does not do as well in the can. Get the bottle. This beer has a light non-feel to it, very light. It's just that little hop bite and the refreshing clean back drop. Whether this beer is the product of great striving for perfection, or a serendipitous try at an ale for Yuengling, they hit the ball out of the park on this one.

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

3.16/5  rDev +7.1%

3.62/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Solid beer, great 6 pack option for the price. Saaz-like hoppiness, very old school Euro style. Hopheads and beer snobs move along, this one isn't for you. Won't win any awards, but won a place in my minifridge.

4.34/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For many years, Lord Chesterfield Alex has been a fine, reasonably priced ale that's very drinkable and easy to get along with. It's not too heavy and has a nice bite that elevates it above many other brews

4.06/5  rDev +37.6%