Lord Chesterfield Ale

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Lord Chesterfield AleLord Chesterfield Ale
Notes: One of our heritage beers, Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale has as much rich heritage as it does flavor and appeal. Crafted in a unique two-stage European brewing style for enhanced bitterness, it utilizes both conventional kettle hopping and dry hopping after fermentation resulting in a dry sharp finish. Its distinct robust flavor is derived from a delicate combination of sweet maltiness and lingering herbal bitterness.
View: Beers
Reviews: 321 | Ratings: 917 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.05/5  rDev +37.3%

I used to get this on tap at a bar I frequented 15-20 years ago. Now I buy cans for $19.95/case. I don't think there's a better beer in this price range. Chesterfield is a classic and doesn't taste like a macro at all. Even the better macros always leave me feeling like there's a film on my tongue.

It's a pale blonde ale with a biscuit malt and a clean hop bitterness. It tastes more English than German. To me, it's a perfect balance. I've never had this in bottles, but other reviews mention it can get skunky, so stick with cans.

The only other beers I drink in this price range are Warsteiner and Astra.

2.86/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Being from Philadelphia, where we have many reasonably priced craft beer choices (PA has more craft breweries than any other state), one tends to sneer at Yuengling. Out in Pennsyltucky (everything beyond Philly and Pittsburgh) they swill Yuengling Lager as if it’s a fine brew. It is not. Most of Yuengling’s beers evidently have too much coal and MAGA contamination because the stuff is mostly trash. Porter is acceptable if one is in dire straits or in college (probably redundant) and Lord Chesterfield is, well, okay.

It looks like Miller or Bud or some other piss I wouldn’t drink if it was free. Gross urine color. Some foam. I think BA people dig reports of the head and lacing and what not.

Smells awful! It really smells bad, like 12 hour roadkill. All I can think of is white trash bars in Schulkyll (however one spells that terrible name) county, where that smell is wrapped around everything.

Taste is not nearly so bad as one might expect. Marginally an English-style ale. I prefer stouts but this is shockingly inoffensive. I did pour this from a can which probably makes a big difference.

Feels like what I imagine polluted river water, sulfuric acid and the bitterness of the betrayal of the working class feels like in the mouth. Unpleasant in most ways but it kind of gets one excited.

In spite of all of these ambivalent feelings, it’s worth a try. Better than most domestic macros and not some “let’s see how bitter we can make it “ overpriced pale ale trash. Like most of the IPAs you sheep praise.

2.71/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light to moderately strong column of bubbles rising from the center of the glass. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that left a small, thin patch of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge fo the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of skunk are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell and has lots of skunk flavors along with hints of grainy malts.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: It's unfortunate that this beer came in a green bottle as it was quite skunky in both the smell and taste.

3.04/5  rDev +3.1%

From notes 2/2/12: Pours a clear, thin straw color, with a 2 inch, white, short-lived, finely bubbled foamy head that leaves only a little lacing. Aroma is grain and hops. Taste is adjunct grains, pale malt, thin caramel with lemon zest and watery grass hops. A good choice for fishing, mowing the lawn or session drinking.

Lord Chesterfield Ale brewed by Yuengling Brewery, with an ABV of 5.40% ThisA American Pale Ale pours out a nice golden amber color with a thin small white head. This brew was in a 12oz green bottle. Really thin spotty lacing to this brew, it does stick to the side of the glass. The smell is skunky mixed with grains and malts. After all the musty skunky sun damage smell you do pick up on some decent hop bitterness in the smell. The skunky is a huge turn off for me. This brew should be in a brown bottle why the Yuengling Brewery, puts brew in green bottles is up for question. Now for the taste , it is bold with flavors. The skunk is there but there is a lot going on in this brew. You pick up on a nice amount of hop bitterness in the taste, the mixed with earthy grains and malts. If you can get past the skunkyness, this is a nice drinking brew. Really going to try to find this brew in a can or on tap. This green bottle killed the mood of this brew. The mouth feel is Skunky, Bold, and somewhat refreshing with flavors. Overall I'm going to give Lord Chesterfield Ale a soild 3 out of 5.
I really want to try this brew without the Skunky flavors..

3.77/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz green bottle packaged 9/26/18 (35 days ago) poured into a vintage bow tie glass at fridge temp, no ABV listed on bottle. Pulled from a dark store cooler & seems to be free from light damage. The beer pours bright golden yellow with off white head. The head recedes to a few bubbles and a pencil thin ring. Some lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is faint. Barely sweet with some creamed corn and possibly apple or grape skin. The taste is fairly bitter up front, with some grain and slight fruity sweetness mid palate before an equally bitter and tangy finish. The mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied, adequately carbonated and mostly dry in the finish. Overall, great old school AAL, but not a modern pale ale at all. I'm happy to have been able to try it. Bring it to Indiana in cases of cans for under $25, I'll fill my fridge in it.

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Not exactly bursting with much flavor, the malt profile is pretty light & stale, the hops are acrid and not pleasing at all...overall a pretty bad beer

3.19/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz. Bottle. Imported directly to me from Pottsville over the July 4 holiday. Pours to a head that lasts and laces and a clear deep gold color. Aroma upon pour is a bit skunky but largely calms down into a Eurolager smell. Flavor is not far off either. Overall a beer that would be nice at a bargain price.

3.06/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Crystal clear golden color with a thin white head; Pleasant aroma with a hint of biscuit; Mildly carbonated; Flavor is mild and pleasant, unremarkable, though the pleasure of it seems to decline with the drinking of it. A middle-of-the-road beer, drinkable but not a go-to.

2.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear golden color with z thick medium sized white head. The aroma is slightly spunky. The taste is mild hops.

4.29/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a bit of a manly man's beer. Pretty darn close to an IPA but it's not. This stuff is very hoppy and rather bitter. It reminds me more of a European brew. Tons of flavor here. It may or may not be your thing. I like this stuff.

1.95/5  rDev -33.9%

You know, it's funny, I tried to think that this beer was "pretty good". Now, attempting to not be a lemming, I decided it was at least worth the cost of the can this beer comes in to look at some other reviews. Again, emphasizing that I am really trying not to automatically "mass-moron-icize" myself by following the crowd; I did come to realize some legitimate features of this ale that have since lead me to be able to make a valid assessment of it's character. it's dang near complete pig pee, folks. Here's the worst part: I will drink it again! I am telling you that, for some ungodly reason, I have been attracted to buying this swill since I was at Slippery Rock University in 1993. It's got nothing to do with whether or not it feels good on the palate or it's bouquet (did I just use that term for Chesterfield Ale?). It's all about the fact that I can feel like I'm drinking something that was probably brewed as a mistake and still enjoy it as it hits the back of my esophagus. So, there...

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

Eastern PA born and bred, Yuengling is in my DNA. I love all their beers, but Chesterfield has always been my least favorite. Always had a slightly too skunky smell and even taste for my liking. I've still drank hundreds of these, but that would amount to many many less than the other Yuengling brews.

2.76/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours pale yellow with a thin, short lived head. Sweet corn adjunct aroma and taste, thin malt, noticeable hop presence with a short finish. Whoever said this is what you buy instead of Budweiser, not instead of a craft ale, was 100% correct. Whoever drank the Yuengling Kool Aid and thinks this is a world-class beer should understand a few things: 1. First of all, it's called an ale because it's made with ale yeast. 2. People aren't down-rating it because of the name. They are down-rating it because of its adjunct flavor and aroma, which is the thing that puts people off of beers like Budweiser and is very much present in this beer. 3. If you think people should judge beer based on how painlessly it can get you drunk, you should probably express your opinions elsewhere and not in a place populated with "beer snobs" (a label that I consider a compliment) who will think you're an idiot. Not the worst beer out there, but the fact that they want $8.29/6-pack in NOLA for this when you can get St. Arnold or Abita for $7.99 is laughable. This is not an underrated beer, unless you don't know any better or are a Yuengling cult member.

3.98/5  rDev +34.9%

Unpretentious and finely carbonated, it smells like Chesterfield, pours like Chesterfield and drinks like Chesterfield, a British style ale through and through. Slightly bitter taste, sweet finish. Like an underrated goalie, way better than the reviews by the "experts in the stands" but hey, I'm just some guy enjoying beer over here. I bet if Yuengling called itself a "craft brewer" and doubled the ABV its reviews would be higher.

3.97/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Crystal clear, pale straw to orange color, 1/2 inch white head, good lacing down the glass

S: Straw, grass,

T: Sweet malts, cracker, bread, hop bitterness comes in middle of taste, finishes with lingering sweetness

M: Medium to light

O: Not a bad beer from a great brewery. Their amber lager is my go to for superior taste, availability and price and this beer has many of the same attributes. A different taste than the amber lager but still packed with flavor. Definitely has a place in my rotation if I see it again.

3.9/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've just recently come back to this beer to test out Yuengling's offerings beside the ever-present (in PA) lager. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by Chet. It's been years since I've tasted it, with many very fine IPAs and ales since then, and my first impression this time around was that this was a really nice estimation of a British-style ale. Admittedly, I like to growler my beer to soften some of the fizz, which I find unnecessary if there's any flavor. And like the Yuengling lager, this ale is much better served with a little less fizz. There's a little mild bitterness (my wife, an IPA fan, had a sip and was pleasantly impressed), but this is not an aggressive brew. I'd characterize it as mellow, and yet there are some nice fruity notes and a little bit of malty back end. I happened also to have a Chet with a cold cut hoagie, and I was really struck by how nicely it went with food, seeming even a little sweeter with the saltiness of the sandwich. Though I know this may not be what those who like strong, heavily hoppy brews are looking for, if you miss British ales, I encourage you to give it a taste. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2.34/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured cloudy with minimal head. Smelled skunky but I gave it a chance. Hard to drink. I did not realize this was a Yuengling product till after the beer was poured.

2.18/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer is just awful. I couldn't drink it at 18 and at 51 its still the same. The beer has no character whatsoever. Its bland, tasteless, and weak. This beer has no redeeming qualities, except that its cheap, but I would rather drink any other beer then this.

2.34/5  rDev -20.7%

Disappointed in this beer. I am a big fan of Yuengling beer, however, this beer is not on their good list. No hopps and no body whatsoever. Will not be purchasing it again.

4.7/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I deleted my review on this and rewrite it because I don't know enough about beer terminology and I was trying to sound as though I did. I'm a versatile beer drinker and like lagers, pilsners, IPA's, and porters, and more. At home I want an affordable beer for a standard stock and Lord Chesterfield is it. I love the slightly skunky bite. You can't call this beer worthless swill even if you don't like the taste because the taste is nearly unique and thus full of character. I have never tasted a beer quite like this. It's an unsweet, bitter ale that goes a step further with a delightful skunky character which you will like or not like. But it's all intentional, unique, and in my book, delicious.

3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Solid beer, great 6 pack option for the price. Saaz-like hoppiness, very old school Euro style. Hopheads and beer snobs move along, this one isn't for you. Won't win any awards, but won a place in my minifridge.

4.34/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For many years, Lord Chesterfield Alex has been a fine, reasonably priced ale that's very drinkable and easy to get along with. It's not too heavy and has a nice bite that elevates it above many other brews

4.16/5  rDev +41%

Have been enjoying this in a can. Has a tendency to get a little skunky in the green bottles. Crisp ale with a nice hop taste. I can drink these all day. Paid $17.50 for a case. Think about that... $17.50 a case for a beer with some flavor. Only Yuengling brings quality at this price point.

1.79/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I can tell you, this is a bad beer. I always have decent hopes of a major brewer making a pale ale, and am almost always disappointed. Tastes of a cornfed skunk, lacks hops, lacks body. Props to the salesman that was able to get this crap on the shelf around here.

Lord Chesterfield Ale from Yuengling Brewery