The Pits | Al's of Hampden / Pizza Boy Brewing

Al's of Hampden / Pizza Boy Brewing
Pennsylvania, United States
alsofhampden.com

Style: American IPA

An IPA brewed with nearly 200 pounds of peaches and seasoned with Citra, Chinook and Nelson Sauvin hops.

Added by jhartley on 08-07-2014

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by DIM:

Never had anything from these guys, so I was excited to see this on the board at the Bulls Head. I didn't know peaches were involved until I got home.

This was a somewhat hazy golden straw color and it came with a short lived white cap. This was strange and not altogether pleasant, although I did like the second half of the glass better than the first. The hops were muted by an off-tasting, plastic-y tartness. I guess this was the peaches. A little earthy grapefruit pith came through, but the overall bitterness was extremely low. I actually wondered if the bartender brought me the wrong beer, this just did not come across as an IPA. I found some sugar cookie/toffee maltiness as well.

This one wasn't for me and I'm having trouble imagining a how a peachy IPA could be good. Anyway, I hope see these guys on the board again.

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

I was a bit leery of a fruit IPA, but damn this was tasty and refreshing... Very nicely done... One of my more favorite Pizza Boy offerings...

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.87/5  rDev 0%

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden.

A - Pours hazy golden amber with a small half finger tall white head, quickly dissipating down to a light film, leaving

S - Smells of fresh cut peaches, pine resin, fresh cut grass, fruity hops, mildly toasted gain and a touch of sugary sweetness. A little slow initially but once it warmed up a bit it was quite nice.

T - Starts off with the piney and grassy hops quickly being joined by the juicy peaches and topical hops and finally the mild sweetness and pale malt. Finish is a little sweet with some mild bitterness, not lingering for very long.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Bitter-sweet feel does not dominate the palate. Only a touch of booze is detectable.

O - A very nice fruit IPA. The peaches are a nice complement to the chosen hop blend and they never overpower the other parts as is sometimes the case with these types of IPA's. I had no problem polishing off my glass in no time flat.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%