Organic Saison | McKenzie Brew House

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by roan22 on 01-13-2009

4.6

4.6/5  rDev 0%

Not sure if this is the same saison recipe I tried at Kennett Beerfest 2008...tastes very similar. One of these saisons won current brewer Ryan a medal at the GABF, a few years ago. I met him at Kennett 08, and that's when I tried his saison for the first time.

Anyway this organic saison is 5.5%. It is a light yellow color, clear, white frothy foam, epitome of the saison style.

One whiff shows that this beer deserves a 5 for aroma...very funky. Epitome of style, and more aromatic probably because its fresh.

Taste: Like all well-made saisons, this beer offers tastes of Belgium and France in the manner of spicy yeastiness and awesome FUNK. The "barnyard" flavor notes in this beer are so excellent.

The mouthfeel is interesting...my tongue is left tingling like I had a mega-hopped beer. The aftertaste keeps your mouth craving another sip.

The best thing about the drinkability of this saison is that there is no sweet apple cider taste present at all. It is very dry and would appeal to wine drinkers who appreciate beer too.

Saisons go great with food. It is my number 2 favorite style next to the classic American IPA..and I feel lucky that we in the Philly area now have 3 recent GABF medal winners in the saison category.*

*Chris LaPierre of Iron Hill West Chester, and Gordon of Nodding Head are the others.

Cheers!