Pumpkin Ale | Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

Added by BeerPhan86 on 11-18-2009

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

my favorite pumpkin beer so far this year. I had no idea lake placed did a pumpkin brew. enjoyed on tap at tony harpers in old forge new York. it has a rich amber color, much darker than other pumpkin orange colored ales ive seen. big white head that lasts about halfway through a pint. the depth of the color translates into a complex aromatic experience as well. lots of red malt intensity without being sweet, more spice than pumpkin, but not so clove heavy. a touch of cinnamon and vanilla are confirmed on the first sip, and the bigger malt gives it a warming quality that's perfect for chilly autumn Adirondack nights. dry rather than sweet is the feel, and really active carbonation and a lower abv for a fall beer keep this sessionable. I think the balance is what I most enjoyed about this. I would love to see it bottled, It might surpass the Saranac in my fridge if it did.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Visited the brewery while in Lake Placid. They had the pumpkin ale on tap so I decided to bring home a growler (I've had plenty of Ubu Ale on tap in the north country on other visits). I like that they are still running their pumpkin ale mid-November (and I believe until December when their winter lager is released). I am sick of seeing winter beers already out on the shelves and pumpkin ales a memory by the end of October. Pumpkin ale prime time is October-November, at least in my opinion.

A - Pours a hazy ruby-amber with a very light head. The lacing is light and not very sticky, and the head never builds beyond barely covering the surface of the liquid.

S - Subdued, more squash/pumpkin than you normally find in a pumpkin ale though. The normal spices are there but much less prevalent.

T - It is mellow, yet has a nice balance between squashy pumpkin flavor and spice, unlike many pumpkin ales which tend to taste too spicy and don't have enough squash flavor. Light spiciness, mainly cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little brown sugar. Good bready malt backbone. Has a natural tasting grassy or earthy character to it which perhaps comes from the natural pumpkin used. Leaves a lingering taste of squash on the tongue, and not spice. Lighter than most pumpkin ales but far more balanced.

M - Very smooth and light bodied. Light carbonation.

D - The alcohol is light on this one too, I believe the menu said 4.7%. Very sessionable and not too sweet or spicy. Finally a pumpkin ale I could session around a campfire!

Overall, pretty decent. Not as in your face with the spices as others, but has more squash flavor and is very well balanced. It is just what I am looking for in a pumpkin ale, and a nice change of pace.

Pumpkin Ale from Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company