Fresh Bongwater Hemp Ale | KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)

Fresh Bongwater Hemp AleFresh Bongwater Hemp Ale
3.79/5
Very Good
Fresh Bongwater Hemp AleFresh Bongwater Hemp Ale

KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)
Montana, United States
kettlehouse.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Formerly Fresh Bongwater Pale Ale

Fresh Bongwater Hemp Ale is made with Montana grown barley and Canadian grown industrial hemp making it a smooth drinking light ale. The hemp seeds lend a slight nutty flavor to the beer but don’t worry; there is no measurable THC in this brew (a local Missoula lab actually sat around and tested this). Caramel malts are added to enhance head retention and contribute sweetness. Great for parties where mass appeal is desired.

Added by beernut7 on 08-19-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer surprised me in so many ways - I didn't have high hopes for it. I got it from a really irresponsible trader in Virginia who traded me a small amount of high quality Aslin hops - and I thought this was a pretty lousy extra considering. When I read about this beer, it didn't help that some guy rated it a 5 just because some chick at a bar gave him a blow job or something.

I went on to disrespected this beer heavily. I didn't refrigerate it, I let it age for 16 months, and I even thought bad thoughts about it as the last beer I tried with hemp wasn't all that great. OK, I am not a bad person, but I didn't have high hopes. I digress.

Look - Nice white head - golden straw color - impressive.

Smell - nothing - slightly fresh but really nothing there

Taste - this is where it really shined for me. The description on the can describes it perfectly as sweet and nutty and very smooth. I'll add a little malty with no hop presence for an ale, and no evident deterioration at all given the age.

Feel - Thin mouthfeel and very smooth - not bad but not entirely appropriate for the style either.

Overall - I drank this on Easter Sunday for some odd reason just because I felt like it - I felt like a break from high ABV IPAs, stouts and sours / wilds - just felt like a crappy 5% lager-like beer, and what I got is something a whole lot better. Surprisingly, I would actually welcome buying this again if I were ever in Montana, which I will be at some point. And to that guy who got head after buying his date a pint of Kettlehouse Bongwater at the bar, I'm sure you've been back since for a few more! Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

i like the idea of incorporating hemp seeds into a beer like this, it makes sense for a number of reasons, but my four pack of this beer was too old to really be considered fresh anything, canned nearly six months ago, but picked up from a gas station in billings with seemingly high beer turnover, disappointing, but i should have looked closer before purchasing. at this point, it tastes overly malty, rather, less hoppy than it should, like the grain base would have been just right if the hops werent all faded out. i like the grain base, and i can easily appreciate the nutty earthy slightly toasted hemp seeds. they work great with the crystal type malt in here, there is some sweetness, but it works. the hops basically are just bitter here, light preserved lemon, but its way faded and its hard to even venture a guess as to what this would be like brand new, some citrus would be welcomed. as it stands now its a very balanced pale, richer than most, bigger feeling and tasting for its lower abv, and still rather enjoyable even this far down the track. ill find some fresher cans next time i am up there and compare... nice to try something other than cold smoke from these guys!

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%

Drank out of can. Interesting flavor, nuttiness is nice. Good beer.

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From a can, born on 02/16/17. So it's all of seven days old.

Clear, pale golden colour. No lacing.

Taste is convoluted. It's highly carbonated with light malt followed by moderate light hop character. It has a thicker mouthfeel than these moderate tastes of indicate; possibly due to the hemp?

Quite good.

3.64/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

She said, "I hate not knowing how to describe it, but it is the best beer that I have ever had in my life!" - That's what matters, dog! DICK SUCKED!

3.98/5  rDev +5%

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

2.5/5  rDev -34%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Fresh Bongwater Hemp Ale from KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)