Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ginseng Pale Ale | KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)

3.6/5
Good

KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)
Montana, United States
kettlehouse.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Ginseng Pale Ale is the beer most likely to fly under the radar. Those who love it become loyal drinkers, unable to choke down anything other. Around here we say drink one of these and it’ll keep you up all night. Interpretation is strictly personal. Larry Evans, one of Missoula’s own, supplies us with the ginseng.

Added by beernut7 on 08-20-2002

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Pint poured at the Myrtle location.. We wanted to hang out for a bit and soak in the local atmosphere.. The taproom was completely packed and we struggled just to find a place to put our glass down along the bar (don't get me wrong.. not a bad thing).. after a short wait, I got a shaker pint of the ginseng pale ale.

desent head.. and a fairly clear pale golden brew...

the nose has an upfront citrus hoppiness with quite a bit of an unexpected earthy/herbal element..

Flavor reminds me of SA pale with a teaspoon of "dirt" mixed in.. I am assuming this is the "ginseng".. it really doesn't detract.. but it certainly doesn't help.. lite body and good carbonation.. overall, this brew is just okay.. As an outsider, I personally think that the Ginseng is just a gimmick.. the "uplifting" qualities of the root are weighed down certainly by the EtOH.

I would rather have a Vodka and Red Bull before ever drinking this beer again.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

This is another creative and very tasty Kettlehouse beer. The herbal aromas lead into an even more herbal flavor balanced nicely by light sweet, buttery caramel malts. I took a growler of this for the folks at home.

Ginseng Pale Ale from KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)