C-Monster | Liberty Street Brewing Company

Added by SerialTicker on 08-30-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 7
Reviews by tectactoe:
3.96/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap... where else but the Liberty Street Brewery itself. A transitional amber body with copper at the edges and orange hints randomly thrown about. Mild haze resides within the body, as a foamy and gray-tinted head settles slowly and leaves some of the most insanely sticky and incredible lacing rings I've ever seen. Impressive show from the head on this DIPA.

Plenty of those "ol' reliable" aromas abound, thanks to the classic American C-hops. Some spice, some light florals, some dank pines, some bittersweet citrus, a mild essence of juicy, tropical fruit, and a hint of pepper. There's a nice backing of caramel malt that, rather than pushing things to the "too sweet" side, balances the aroma of the hop assault nicely. Very nice mix of aromas from those classic American hops.

Unfortunately, the taste exhibits a little more sweetness than the aroma would indicate, and just a bit more sweetness than I'd like from my DIPAs. However, all hope is not lost - though this beer has a sweet, caramel and toasted bread backbone, it doesn't ever reach that level of "sickeningly" sweet, like some of the other (even big name) DIPAs will go. I'm looking at you, Dreadnaught.

Hops are not as assertive, but still plentiful and flavorful. Light pine, heavy fruits, both tropical papaya and mango with a more citrus-like back end that includes pineapple and heavy orange. A hint of alcoholic heat and ashy hop leaves stays with you palate in the finale. Thick mouth feel, expected for a heavy DIPA, with light carbonation.

Perhaps one of the better things I've had from Liberty; this is a really nice DIPA that exhibits a great display of what beauty can form when you combine all these American hops. My only wish - turn down that caramel malt just a bit. More pale malt. Pilsner malt. Something less sweet... With those tweaks, this beer has a chance to be something special. It's still very good, just not world class yet.

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I got a snarler of this (along with Clementine Lemon Thyme) last night, as I wanted to get something that wasn't year-round.

Appearance: It looks pretty good. Pours with about a finger of a fairly creamy head, and is a nice somewhat dark brown color. Some decent lacing. Not a great looking beer, but unfortunately, the highlight.

Smell: Weird. I can't even put my finger on the aroma I get on it, but it's unusual. I get that similar aroma in taste-form at the front of every sip. Other than that, there's a lot of sweet smelling malt.

This beer reminds me a lot of a failed version of Lake Erie Sea Monster by GLBC. Given the name C-Monster for this beer, they HAD to've wanted to make their own version of that beer. I don't really care all that much for that beer, but this is considerably less enjoyable. There's a lot of sweetness in this beer, with some pretty mild bitterness, but it doesn't taste like a IIPA to me. I don't know WHAT it tastes like. I just don't taste any real hop flavors. The 9% ABV on this would be hard to guess for most people -- no warmth that I could feel, and there's really zero alcohol flavor.

Basically... I wouldn't want this beer again. There are way too many better IIPAs out there.

C-Monster from Liberty Street Brewing Company