Two Cherry Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Two Cherry AleTwo Cherry Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2001

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by mattmaples:
3.66/5  rDev -5.7%

I am pleasantly surprised at how nice this beer actually is. I was expecting something sweet and devoid of beer character. Not true. It was quite enjoyable with its slight caramel maltyness, very low hop, and a nice slightly sour cherry flavor at the end. I am giving it a 3.5 because it is a better than average fruit beer. Not something I PERSONALLY will buy a lot of but for those of you who like the lighter ales, this one is one of the more interesting ones.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

The beer pours a nebulous amber color, the head average, frothy, and the residual lace a fair to middling sheet to cover the glass. A nice cherry aroma greets you at the rim of the glass, sweet with malt supporting it all. Front is ambrosial, the top skimpy with the finish nicely carbonated, the hops delicate with a cherry juice sweet aftertaste. Oh did I mention that this beer is two years old and about 18 months past its “Best Before Date”? Personally I like it much better now.

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

**Warning**
Review from memory (of possibly my favorite beer).
Quite soon after I turned 21, I embarked upon a journey through the tasting of beers I had not yet imagined. One of my very first fruit beers and one of the very few that I liked was this ambrosial beer from a respected (in my book) brewery a few states away. I had always liked Fat Tire Amber Ale and was hoping for something similar when I popped the cap off of this beauty.
Boy was I suprised. First, there was none of the residual maltiness about this beer that some of the other NB beers that I had tasted had. Sure there was a malt flavor, but it wasn't cloying and instead let a glimmer of summer sunshine in the form of sour cherries through. There was not the full on cherry flavor which I had expected, but rather an expert pairing of hops (which kind and the alpha content, I couldn't tell you...) and the fruit after which the beer was named to create a bright note that made the beer very quaffable.
If I had to ask for one beer to be brought back onto the markets, this would be it. I sure would like to write a current review instead of resorting to (one of my favorite) memories.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a big light brown head. Color is clear reddish brown. Has a very pleasant malty cherry smell. Tastes fairly malty and fruity, in a good way. Finishes slightly bitter. Has a good 'real fruit' cherry flavor throughout, not overwhelming or one dimensional like some fruit beers. Medium body. Would be good for a nightcap.

Two Cherry Ale from New Belgium Brewing
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.