Viennese Lager | Bohemian Brewery

Bohemian Brewery
Utah, United States
bohemianbrewery.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Full bodied Vienna Style Lager - A result of combining fine Pilsener and dark roasted malt. Slightly more hoppy than our other beers.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2004

3.29/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

It has a classic amber color to it, but the head is thin and dissipates quickly. Taste is about what you would expect from an amber lager, so it's drinkable with a toasted malty caramel taste. A little on the thin side overall, with just a little bit of an almost sour aftertaste that I didn't really care for. I found this as a singular can hiding amongst other cans, so I'm not sure how old it was. I would prefer to try this on tap to get a better opinion of it.

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Trying this Vienna lager was enticing to me because the another Vienna brewed out of Idaho is one of my favorite beers, but Bohemian's was a major disappointment. Like others have previously expressed, I found it watery and bland. That the "BA Score" of this beer is a "good" 82 is very surprising to me; I disagree. Normally I go into more detail as far as look/smell/feel/head retention/etc. with what I review, but I don't find this one worth articulating based on taste alone. After trying this and a handful of other beers produced by Bohemian, I've now lost interest in visting their local restaurant/brewery here in Utah. Not good. Won't have again even someone offers to give it to me for free.

4.56/5  rDev +30.3%

3.67/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +15.4%

3.14/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.15/5  rDev +18.6%

3.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear, standard amber-orange. Very weak, bubbly, off-white head. The aroma was the strongest and sweetest of caramel I have yet encountered, strong enough to mask almost everything else. Maybe a little grainy. Caramel and tart taste throughout, malty backdrop, lightly hopped lemony and bready finish. Medium bodied I'd say with medium level of spritzy carbonation. Not too dry.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

3.56/5  rDev +1.7%

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a dimpled beer mug on 8/14/2014

The appearance is copper and deep orange; poured a foamy off-white head; some sticky lace; some carbonation and haze is apparent.

The aroma is mixed with caramel malt and grains, cereal grains and nuts, with an earthy mild hop undertone.

It tastes like toasty sweet malt up front, followed by a gentle bitter/dry aftertaste. It is fairly balanced; malt-forward. The caramel malt backbone and light nutty flavor is not significant, but they each add balance to the hops. Dry aftertaste and just a little fruity.

Light bodied and slightly wet; crisp and satisfying. Very quaffable, indeed.

I must have had a bad batch the first time I drank this or perhaps my palate changed, but this is a fine tasting year round beer; but it would be great in the autumn as it somewhat reminds me of an Oktoberfest beer. I like it and I will drink it again. I am happy I gave it another shot, although I said I would never do it again.

3.49/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear deeply amber colored beer with small gut thick white colored head.

Smells quite fruity with a nice touch of caramel and nuts. Light but sweetly malty. The can says in small letters "Bock" and I can smell that it is a little sweetly nutty. Little bit of wheat biscuit in the malt.

Starts out sweet and a little fruity with a sharp but not to sharp bitterness. Little bit of caramel and some grain husk flavor.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall pretty good for a 4% Beer. Would love to see what they can do with no restrictions.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

Served on-draught at Ray's Tavern in Green River, Utah. Served into a pilsner glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of fair creaminess, beige colour, okay thickness, and average retention. Body colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Pleasant roasted barley and/or toasted malts. Surprisingly complex hop character. Full-bodied malty base. Pleasant and inviting. A moderate strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: The full body is comprised of clean, light toasted malts. Restrained hop character helps round out the flavour profile nicely. Light floral hops. No citrus or pine. No hop bitterness comes through, luckily. Clean and balanced, but lackluster. No real complexity or subtlety. I do like it, but its simplicity holds it back. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and crisp. A bit overcarbonated. Decent thickness. Goes decently well with the taste.

Dr: Nicely drinkable. Would pair well with food. Hides its ABV well. It's alright, but I doubt I'd bother with it again. Barely above average.

Low C+