Muscat Saison | Court Avenue Brewing Company

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Court Avenue Brewing Company
Iowa, United States

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 05-15-2007

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
4.1/5  rDev n/a

Muscat Saison is the first beer offered by Court Avenue for Craft Beer Week. I'll make every attempt to drink all five and will rank them at the end of the week. I spoke with the brewer (Mike) while enjoying the beer and he passed along some helpful information. The malt bill is approximately 50:50 wheat malt and barley malt, Muscat grape juice concentrate was used, as well as a Belgian saison yeast strain.

Foggy dark apricot that lightened to amber at the bottom of the tapering, stemmed glass. The creamy ivory crown looked good while it lasted, fading to a thin film within minutes. Although thin, gauzy sheets of lace were seen initially, the glass was almost clean by the time it was half empty.

The two words that hit me as soon as I got my nose over the glass were 'sweet' and 'fruity'. Apparently, the yeast stalled a bit, leaving the beer sweeter and less Belgian yeasty than he originally wanted. As will become obvious when I describe the flavor, I'm more than fine with how things turned out. I'll also pass on describing the aroma since the beer smelled exactly like it tasted.

Muscat Saison was an excellent dessert beer. In that sense, and in terms of how it tasted, it was to beer what Sauternes is to wine. The flavor profile was a delicious fruit salad that included juicy pear (which was dominant), apple, orange, white raisin and honey. In fact, although I've never had it, the beer reminded me of sweet pear cider.

There was also a mild muskiness that could have come from the Muscat grapes or it could have come from the yeast. It would have been interesting to drink a drier, funkier version of this fine ale, but again, I loved the final outcome. I also picked up a minor 'white' spiciness whose origins I can only guess at.

The mouthfeel was as one might expect with such a sky-high starting gravity (due to the grape juice). It was medium-full and was lush and sticky. All of those qualities ensured an impressive amount of flavor linger. A perfect amount of fine carbonation made sure things stayed lightly creamy rather than becoming syrupy.

Muscat Saison is anything but a classic version of the saison style. It's still tremendous beer, however, and was a fantastic way to kick off Craft Beer Week at Court Avenue. Mike told me that two of the five beers will become rotating releases. He has no current plans to brew this one again, so it looks like some arm twisting is in order. Good stuff!

Muscat Saison from Court Avenue Brewing Company