Uncommon Ale | Court Avenue Brewing Company

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Court Avenue Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 05-19-2007

3.1

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
3.1/5  rDev n/a

Sunkist orange with no head. A thin rim could be seen at the convergence of beer, air and glass, but that was it. The tiny necklace was gone before my first sip, never to return.

The nose was too weak to pick out specifics, although I was able to appreciate what smelled like apricot juice. Never mind that neither apricots nor apricot juice came anywhere near the brew kettles. This was yet another beer that suffered from a lack of carbonation. For some reason, that's been the theme of my week.

Uncommon Ale is described as being a 'hybrid wheat beer' with ingredients including honey, grape juice from a local grape grower, saffron and wine yeast. I had no idea what style to assign, so I picked saison. Today's offering did remind me, to some extent, of Monday's offering, Muscat Saison.

At times the beer tasted like white grape juice, and at others it tasted like apple juice. The flavor profile also included apricots and oranges. Despite the number and variety of fruits, Uncommon Ale was nowhere near as complex or as delicious as Muscat Saison. A hint of drying alcohol was noted on the swallow.

I would hate to think that a simple lack of carbonation could have resulted in such a shallow flavor profile, but I'm afraid it did. Honey was nowhere to be found until the beer warmed a few degrees, and then it was only present on the finish. I have no idea what saffron tastes like.

I had a bad feeling when I saw beer entering glass. The lack of head formation made it look more like wine than beer. While the mouthfeel wasn't completely flat, it was extremely close to it. Unfortunately, the lack of life couldn't be overcome by what should have been an interesting combination of flavors.

I would love to drink Uncommon Ale again (if it's ever brewed again) so that I could see how much of a difference proper carbonation would make. This beer has potential. As is, though, it's simply an experiment that didn't work.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

I saved myself a trip downtown yesterday by not drinking and reviewing Belgian White, a beer that I've had previously. Now, on to the ranking of the five beers released during Court Avenue's Craft Beer Week 2007.

1st: Muscat Saison
2nd: Belgian White
3rd: Bourbon Cherry Stout
4th: Old Knucklehead Imperial Red (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
5th: Uncommon Ale

Uncommon Ale from Court Avenue Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.