Wally Juice

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Wally JuiceWally Juice
Notes:
Reviews: 18 | Ratings: 55
3.27/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazy amber-orange color with a decent head. Strong aroma of orange - more like tangerines. The orange taste follows through strongly in the taste with a bit of hoppiness on the back end. Apparently they infuse this brew with blood orange juice and it somewhat overwhelms the beer. I would call this more of a fruit beer than I would an IPA. It's not a bad beer if you like that sort of thing, but it's not something I would seek out. No where on the can does it state that it's had blood orange added. I only learned it from the website.

WALLY JUICE - "Hazy, Extra Juicy New England IPA"
Wally Juice combines a crisp, acidic hop character balanced out with the sweetness of an all-natural blood orange infusion, creating a unique, reddish hued interpretation of the style. Wally Juice is a hazier, juicier sequel to our original New England IPA, Wally.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Looks hazy and smells like candy. Tangerine? Smarties? It’s fruity. If I were to order this at a bar I would drink it, but I wouldn’t order it again.

Poured onto a chilled Manson jar, let sit for a minute. Smells pungent, which I like, but is too fruity for my taste; needs more juice less fruit. (Doesn’t taste like juicy fruit)

3.84/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy, orange - amber color. Minor head. Small spots for lace.

Fruity smell of mostly orange juice.

Lots of orange up front. Good hop finish but not enough to balance the sweetness.

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

What we have here is a failure to communicate - I think ratings here would be higher if the beer CLEARLY marked it was a fruit enhanced IPA, a la Grapefruit Sculpin. I usually drink plain old IPAs and really enjoyed this. Great smell, mouthfeel, and malt balance. I don't know why they market it as a hazy NEIPA.

3.89/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have mixed feelings about this beer. Is it a New England style IPA, or is it a fruit/vegetable beer? If you read the label it says 'natural flavor' and 'beet juice for color". I went to the website and was surprised by the list of hops used: Citra, CTZ, Bravo, Simcoe, Calypso & an experimental hop named 431. Followed by this list of malts: American two-row pale, Vienna, Melanoidin, Acidulated Malt, Torrified Red Wheat, & Golden Oats. They also mention that the 'acidic hop character is balanced out with the sweetness of an all-natural blood orange infusion'. However blood oranges aren't mentioned on the label. I actually liked the taste of the beer, but had a hard time distinguishing all those ingredients. The sweet citrus flavor came thru big time, but the hops were muted.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I had hope for a better beer. Grapefruit is very fruit forward. I'm on cholesterol meds and miss my grapefruit.... I should have had a salty dog. Won't be back to this one. In fact I'm leaving a half beer on the bar.

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

I would have thought this beer would be better than Wally, but it fails to deliver that bite that I am used to. For the price of $15 per 4 pack I think it is over priced by $3. I would rather myself to buy a Sip o Sunshine.....thanks for trying Wachusett, but you didn't deliver completely

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Ok, so this is a pretty one dimensional beer. It's Juicy all right, very distinctive grapefruit aroma and the beet juice is evocative of the pink grapefruit color. There is definitely a strong citrus impression maybe suggesting pink grapefruit or maybe a little blood orange rind in the aroma. Nice mouthfeel too like freshly squeezed juice on the pulpy side. Not much else going on but damned pleasant to drink and quite refreshing.

Had on tap. Pours hazy, gold in color with 1/4 inch head. Taste is orange, melon and white grape. Medium bodied and carbonation and very juicy..One of the better Wachusett beers I have had in some time.

2.53/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

In small lettering, the can says this beer has had "natural flavor and "beet juice for color" added. As others mentioned, the juice is likely grapefruit or blood orange juice. Pours a burnt orange color. Strongly carbonated. The taste is all citrus with a wee bit of bitterness in the finish. Were it not for the bitterness and a very faint bit of malt you'd be forgiven for thinking this is some alcoholic Fresca concoction and not an IPA.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I really liked Wally a lot and thought this would be a better version of that; as others have said already in their reviews, this is just way too much actual grapefruit juice, and not enough hops/malt and body at all

3.37/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

16oz can. Pours a murky reddish brown with an inch of head. Some lacing. The aroma is grapefruit juice and Hawaiian Punch. Very sweet smelling. The taste is just like the aroma. More grapefruit juice this time around but also some of that Hawaiian Punch flavor as well. Not getting much else flavor wise. Grapefruit finish. Sweet and bitter. Acidic. I’m a big grapefruit fan but this is a bit of a strange beer. It basically tastes like a boozier Radler to me. Medium bodied. It’s not bad but not what I was expecting from an IPA and not really something I ever have to drink again.

2.03/5  rDev -41%

Stop. Stop stop stop. Stop infusing fruit into beers to try and create a "NE IPA" experience instead of using a top shelf hop bill. Too many brewers are thinking they can just mask a terrible beer with fruit and call it an IPA. Shame on you wachusett for smearing the name of Wally in this way.

2.23/5  rDev -35.2%

I wish I had known it was juice infused before I bought it. I don't like grapefruit at all and this is full of it.

Pours a hazy dark orange. Smells of grapefruit right off the bat. Taste is the same, carbonation is strong and had a little acidic bite to it.

If you like grapefruit then this is for you. Otherwise stay away.

2.92/5  rDev -15.1%

L - Hazy pour with small white head.
S - Citrusy grapefruit smell.
T - Geapefruit/orange mix.
F - Medium body with semi-dry finish.
O - An okay beer. Not quite like some other NEIPA's I've had.

2.44/5  rDev -29.1%

From a 16 oz can with smudged notation on bottom

Pours a strange Tequila Sunrise orange

Smells tropical

Taste blows you away with the Naranja. Obviously a late addition of oranges. Reading can again I noticed "fruit infused" in tiny vertical letters on the side

Meh..not my bag

2.58/5  rDev -25%

Well, teh reviews are terrible, and after looking at them I noticed it mentioned infused fruit juice, so I looked it up and low and behold infused with blood orange juice. I am very upset that they did not mention the slightest hint of fruit juice added on the label or I would have thought twice about buying this. Let's see how the beer is.

Pours a big fizzy bubbly 1 finger head that fades at a quicker pace, a little lacing, darker super murky blood orange juice color.

Nose is just grapefruit, that's pretty much it, like cutting into a fresh grapefruit, lots of rind and pith. I literally get nothing else. Anyone can make a grapefruit juice with alcohol in it, so far this is far from a "beer"

Taste well it's a little more than just grapefruit, this time it's a mix of grapefruit and blood orange, again pretty much all just fruit juice, blood orange juice, grapefruit juice, lots of pith and rind, pretty bitter, no malt, no hops, no wheat, nothing.

Mouth is med bod, a grapefruit level acidity, fluffy carb

I know rudzud and I debate this all the time, if the beer tastes like it says it should then it's good, but I still want a beer to taste like a beer. If I wanted a glass of grapefruit juice I'd go buy friggen grapefruit juice. And that's even worse in this case because they didn't mention, anywhere on the can, that this was infused with fruit juice, or that this is even what they were going for. Terrible!

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Another disappointing juice-added IPA. Pours hazy dark burnt Orange. The artificial fruity aroma hits you fast. Reminds me of all the lousy grapefruit juice added IPA' s that were popular a few years back. Taste has an unpleasant artificial tang to it. Maybe they actually added Tang powder. Original Wally May not be great but at least it creates aroma and flavor with the hops.

Wally Juice from Wachusett Brewing Company