White Birch Small Batch Ale Bill's Batch 39 | White Birch Brewing

White Birch Brewing
New Hampshire, United States
whitebirchbrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Each year I like to do a special beer on my birthday. I work out a theme and then enjoy. Since opening White Birch Brewing I’ve had the fun of being able to use more equipment, more ingredients and no worries about the mess in my kitchen at home. This year instead of more I chose a theme of less. Less as in one grain, one hop and one yeast. I took 110 pounds of grain, 60 gallons of water and created 20 gallons of wort. I then hopped it with Warrior hops to 39 IBUs as I turned 39 this year. Add in champagne yeast and we have a beer. Using an unusual mash technique influenced by pre-industrial English brewing, I did an extended step mash with the grain. Typically a one grain beer like this is pale yellow to golden in color. Due to my mash process the resulting beer is a beautiful golden cherry red with a rich fruity malt flavor. The hops bring balance and a pleasing bitterness without taking away from the complexity of the malts. For me, this is a sipping beer, best enjoyed in the evening after the end of the day.

Added by johnnnniee on 05-06-2012

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Pours a slightly cloudy orange amber color with a smattering of bubbles that manage to form a white ring on the surface. Smells a bit fruity and peppery spicy. Sweet sugary malts mix with an orange marmalade kind of thing as well as a peppery yeasty aroma. Taste is a bit sweet with a heavy orange and citrus flavor up front. Sweet sugary malts and some dark dried fruits mix with a hint of ethanol and a bit of pepper midway through. A bit of a lingering spicy tartness long after each sip. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet sticky mouthfeel. Well this one is certainly different, flavorful, but really outside the box. In fact I had trouble figuring out what box to put it in when I added it to the database. My bottle would have really benefited from a few more bubbles the lack of which made the mouthfeel a bit syrupy and sticky. I wouldn't mind seeing one of these develop in the bottle a bit more.

White Birch Small Batch Ale Bill's Batch 39 from White Birch Brewing