White Birch Barrel Aged Elysium Ale - Barrel One | White Birch Brewing

White Birch Brewing
New Hampshire, United States
whitebirchbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Elysium is simply a place or condition of ideal happiness. Our idea of happiness is a barrel aged stout to share with family and good friends. Each barrel we use is carefully selected, a little wild, filled with stout, and aged till it’s ready. There is no hurrying a barrel. For this we think the effort is well worth the wait.

Barrel One: Brettanomyces and raspberries in the aroma, medium bodied with light roasted malts and coffee notes

Added by davey101 on 12-02-2012

3.5/5  rDev 0%

2.95/5  rDev 0%

Bottled: July 13, 2010, Barrel: One, Bottle: 1 of 216. Purchased at White Birch. 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass.

Let these bottles sit for a while! Instant gush over upon opening my bottle. Even when I got half the bottle into a glass it just kept foaming up. Huge gobs of sediment and gunk was also mixed around and came up through the foam.

A - Like I mentioned, lots of black crud in the foam and some slimy stuff at the very bottom of the bottle. After the insanity was over I was left with a black body that shows a dark brown up to the light. Great dense mocha foam forms and fizzles away quickly.

S - Roasted malts, char, coffee, and some milk chocolate. Slightly acridic red wine and cherries in the background. No clue what barrel this was, but I'm not detecting any high proof spirits. The base stout is solid and the background delicate fruity brett notes provide a somewhat pleasant and unique experience.

T - Falls very flat. Roasted malts and some faint raspberries...then nothing. Watery and boring with a lingering tartness. How can there be so little flavor? Certainly not offensive or bad, just void of any discernible traits. Mouth feel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - Not off to a great start with Barrel One. I still have 2 and 3 to try, but I'm not impressed so far. The aroma was very unique and delicate, if the taste matched that it would have been a lot better.

White Birch Barrel Aged Elysium Ale - Barrel One from White Birch Brewing