Kaliber | Guinness Ltd.

poor
good
Read the review
KaliberKaliber

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Added by kbub6f on 08-07-2002

Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 209
2.08/5  rDev -17.5%

If you ever had a Budweiser and thought, yeah, but I wish this was non alcoholic, well here you go. Comes in AAL/BMC yellow. 1/2" white head. Plenty of corn not barley feels in the nose. Old corn. You call it maize.

Taste is again a bunch of corn. And I don't know if this has any whatsoever, it just comes off that way. Like a cream ale with 50% barley/50% corn. I really don't know who the target market is for this stuff, but it isn't me.

3.42/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours bronze with a fluffy white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of lightly toasted grain and grass.

The taste is of watered down grain with a touch of balancing grassy hops.

A bit watery, but still has a decent malty body for the style.

For the style, this isn't bad at all. A watered down version of a decent Euro Pale Lager. Not a bad choice at all if you want the characteristics of a beer without the alcohol affect.

3.08/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Bottle dated L6018gf004 FL 01:58. Go figure. DFH tulip.

A: pours a dark gold with lots of carbonation and one finger of very foamy, soapy off-white head. Laces and retains like a champ! A thick scum of bubbles retains right to the end, and lacing is probably the best I've had from a lager in months.

S: really malty, slightly yeasty/sour. Really smells like fresh commercial white bread. Maybe a hint of some orange blossom honey, but that's a stretch.

T: really tastes like, well, bread. Like fresh white bread. Like Sunbeam or Wonder bread.

M: it's definitely a lager, but a malty one. Carbonation fills the mouth, but isn't biting.

O: I have never had a N/A beer before, so I have no basis for comparison in the style, but this is not bad. Really lacking in flavor, but appearance and texture are excellent by any standard. If you're driving, wanting to cut back for health reasons, or don't want alcohol for any other reason, this is a good substitute for beer.

2.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If Benjamin Franklin is reputed to say that "Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy", then this beer is punishment for getting too happy. The only people I know that drink low-alcohol beers are alcoholics on the wagon.

This beer was not a bad experience. I drank it because I was taking cold medicine that day and because I was listening to 6 hours of Shakespeare's history plays... which is work.

The beer? It was OK. But I suggest reading Jason's review for a more balanced account.

2.57/5  rDev +2%

Poured from standard bottle into a goblet (for shits and giggles, more or less) Pours what looks like an amber lager of some sort, a little darker but still clear.
Smells vaguely of honey, burnt malt and caramel.
Tastes just like smell, burnt malt and honey-like.
Mouthful is only a tiny bit thicker than water.
Overall it's not super pleasant and I'm a pretty big fan of Guinness. It took awhile to finish a sixer.

1.55/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

From Alcampo. In Ikea's pilsner glass. At lunch, with 3 delight rice. Really bad low alcohol brew. The artificial disgusting touch of many in this style is at its peak here

2.81/5  rDev +11.5%

It's an NA beer, so I rated it in comparison to what I expect from an NA beer.

Has a dark color like Guiness does but that's where the comparison ends.

Mixture of oatmeal, molasses and some weird metallic smell but very very light smell.

Tastes like very weak Malta Goya.

Has a light feel but definitely thicker than its competitors.

A very mediocre N/A beer. If I have to drink N/A beer, I'll take Clausthaler, St Pauli N/A, Erdinger Alkoholfrei or even O'Doul Amber. I honestly prefer Malta Goya over this.

3.01/5  rDev +19.4%

It smells like Wheaties or Raisin Bran. It tastes a bit like Wheaties also. It's not horrible, but I think I would opt for a Bitburger Drive instead.

1.39/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I actually bought this upon viewing the scores for comparable non-alcoholic beers. A "poor" rating actually equates to being halfway decent to me in this category, i.e. drinkable. So I picked up a 6 pack.

Appearance : The head is about two fingers, receding to a thick ring leaving lacing behind in wisps and tattoos. The body is amber colored, about 80% transparent. Looks extremely promising so far.

Aroma : Bouquet is faint, very weak. What I do smell here is some old pine sol, perhaps dried onto aged wood, and some slight strained carrot. Not incredibly lucre.

Flavor : This is like a bad mash up of blended baby food and hop leaf. Yuck. No thanks.

(Mashed carrots, and then bitter and rotten garbage hop. Those are the only two flavors here)

Mouthfeel : At this point I don't even care. It's light to medium bodied, well-carbonated...whatever.

Overall : Using the rest for target practice. This totally sucked and tasted like feet. Pass!

4.38/5  rDev +73.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Haven't drank a real beer in 17 years although I have tried many NA's like O'Douls, O'Douls Amber, Becks, Sharp, Bucklers and St. Pauli. Kaliber is by far the best I have found to date. I would like to try Clausthaler Golden Amber sometime if I can find it locally. Definitely would recommend Kaliber to anyone looking for a decent NA beer!

3.62/5  rDev +43.7%

When compared to other NA beers this is tops. So far its as close to real beer as I can find. My wife can't have alcohol in the house so this hits the spot when I'm in the mood and don't want to head to the bar.

3.03/5  rDev +20.2%

As a recovering alcoholic it's tough to get a decent NA beer in my area. I had the displeasure of having Clausthaler previously and almost quit searching for other NA beers. Kaliber, unlike Clausthaler does not have that super disgusting metallic bitter finishing after taste. More so, Kaliber is kind of sweet to a degree with the malty yeast, almost honey notes on the forefront of the taste. Mouth feel is flat and liquid, but just having a NA beer that doesn't taste like your back yard fence is an achievement in itself. I drank it straight from the bottle ice cold like it suggested. I'll gladly continue drinking Kaliber until I can find one of those tastier NA hefes, wits, or IPAs.

1.66/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted a fair amount of time. Good lacing.

S: A truly nasty-smelling beer: An over abundance of malt, combined with corn, bread, and a sweet quality.

T: As disgusting as the aroma was, the taste was worse: Too much malt, an almost chemical taste, a wet paper bag quality, corn, and a cloying sweetness. Very much a repellant flavor that falls flat.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a prickly finish. Light-bodied.

O: I tried Kaliber basically for the sake of trying a low alcohol beer (I don't dismiss anything out of hand). NA beers are unpopular for a reason, and not just for the reason that it won't get you drunk. This is a poorly made brew in all respects.

3.33/5  rDev +32.1%

330 ml bottle into lager glass, bottled on 4/13/2014. Pours fairly crystal clear deep golden amber color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers, Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of cracker, toast, biscuit, caramel, light nuttiness, herbal, grass, light pepper, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of bready malt and earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, toast, cereal, caramel, light nuttiness, herbal, grass, light pepper, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of cracker, toast, cereal, herbal, and grass on the finish for a very short bit. Okay flavor balance and robustness of bready malt and earthy hop flavors; with a dry finish and zero lingering flavors. Pretty bland/watery on flavors but not horrible. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and dry mouthfeel that is good. Overall this is a pretty solid low alcohol beer. Solid balance and robustness of bready malt and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. Considering the style, this was pleasant and quite enjoyable.

Sampled last night on 6/2/14. Comes in a nice 12 ounce bottle. Actually didn't know this was a 'Near Beer' brew as I saw the Guiness 'Harp' logo and never seen it before. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a 5-ounce 'sampler' glass.

Pours a medium amber in color with a about a 1/2 finger of a foamy off-white head. Some spotty lacing is seen with each sip. The aroma is mostly of stewed grains for the most part. The taste actually has more going on that the aroma suggests and is of grains, malt with a hint of caramel with a slight dry finish. Slight bitterness in the finish as well but not bad. Actually didn't know this was a 'Near Beer' brew like O'Dell's as I have never seen it before and was sold in another section. Overall, not my style or likes, not because it is a 'near beer' but because I wasn't a big fan of this one.

2.39/5  rDev -5.2%

No bottling date.

A: Pours a crystal clear red/amber. Tall, frothy white head. Head fades slowly with heavy lacing and great retention.

S: My first thought upon sniffing it was green tea, oddly enough. I'm not sure why. There is a bready sweetness to this as well.

T: Huh. Some malty sweetness but again with the tea. Some ...steamed vegetables in the finish and aftertaste. Bleagh.

M: Pretty thin as you'd imagine. Higher carbonation leaves it prickly.

O: I poured this one out pretty fast. Lots of tea and vegetables. And neither in a good way. Whew. One of the worst I've ever had.

4.65/5  rDev +84.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best tasting NA beer I have had so far. way better than O dools and St pauls. my dad who likes Guinness tried it and like it. I would recommend this to anyone. it is a Good malt beer highly recommended they need to make more NA malt beers like this this is an amazing beer.

2.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Feb 2014. The label claims less than 0.05% ABV. Picked up a little while back from a discount store.

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale-gold colour with faint floating sediment and plentiful carbonation. Forms a large head of creamy white foam that persists for a few minutes before reducing to a thick surface layer. Some lacing. Aroma of sweet stewed grain and little else; perhaps a touch of cooked veg/leaves. Unimpressive.

Tastes of steamed grain with a mild finish. Notes of grain, unfermented malt, faint caramel, overcooked veggies and a hint of stewed leaves. Slightly sweet, with a very weak bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is light and tingly, with spritzy carbonation and a thin, watery body. Aftertaste of cooked grain.

Not very wonderful. I know alcohol-free beer is there to meet a specific need, but this is just gross. Looks decent - this is the best thing about it. The aroma and flavour consist primarily of sweetish stewed-grain and a hint of cabbage water. Watery body. Lacking in substance and character - if I needed to avoid alcohol I don't think I would choose this. Give it a miss.

2.94/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Nice amber color with a big fluffy white head that settles to nothing with no lacing.

S: I'm getting sweet grainy malt.... No hops at all, good news is I'm not getting corn in the sweetness.

T: No bad, matches the smell.... Sweet malt, hanging on the caramel side.... Really much more flavor than I was expecting from a NA brew. Clean finish.

M: Light bodied with lots of carbonation, has a nice clean aftertaste.

D: It is a NA beer but is really not too bad. So if you are looking for NA, this one is worth a look.

(From Notes)

There is no one size fits all when it comes to beer. On an average workday, I prefer to avoid alcohol. Personal preference. I tend to save it for the weekends when I am not working. Come home from work, and what is in the fridge? Kaliber. Thank the beer gods. I enjoy NA beer. It gets a bad rep, but it is evolved. Beer has evolved over the centuries. Maybe NA beer is the next step?... maybe only the whispers of time will tell. I am probably a damned heretic for saying so, but this stuff is much needed. I wish they took high quality beer and removed the alcohol. Yes, Kaliber is not high quality beer. But it is refreshing and super-drinkable.

I'mma gonna have another now....

2.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It was only out of my devout faith in Guinness that I picked this up. .50% ABV confirmed. "Malt Beverage." "Serve Ice Cold." 71 Calories. 10.3g Carbohydrates. 0g Fat. 1.4g Protein. "Imported by Diageo Guinness USA, Norwalk, Connecticut." "Product of UK." "Bottled by Diageo Great Britain, Ltd., Runcorn, UK under license from Diageo Ireland." In other words, this isn't from the Canadian Guinness producer. 12 fl oz bown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of bad cream, decent thickness, and above average (~3 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear translucent pale copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Pretty standard looking, but not pale and weak like most low alcohol beers. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very festbier-esque. Caramalt, heavy grainy character, corn adjunct, mild floral hops, and a bit of pale malt. Malted barley. Clean and generally appealing, but boring and bland. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. Somewhat artificial and treated. A mild strength aroma.

T: Graininess is dominant. Some corn/grain adjunct rounds it out. Mild floral hops. Light grass. Malted barley. Caramalt. It definitely comes off artificial and constructed, but it's still not awful. Balance is okay. Build is okay. I wouldn't quite say I like it, but there's nothing overtly horrendous about it. Decent all around, if bland and boring.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated. A bit thin. Definitely weak. Horrid presence on the palate. Doesn't really suit the flavour profile all that well.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. A rather pedestrian beer. That said, if you're looking purely at low alcohol beers, it's rather flavourful. I might get it again in some fictional scenario in which I have to have a non-alcoholic beer, but otherwise I won't be revisiting this one. I love a lot of Guinness products, but this is not one of them.

Low C-

2.9/5  rDev +15.1%

Clear amber gold with one finger of snow white head and modest lacing.
Smell is lightly floral.
Taste is sweet and malty with a kiss of euro hops.
Mouthfeel is fine for the style and lingering carbonation.
Overall a bit too sweet for my tastes. Has some apple juice like character.

3.1/5  rDev +23%

Clear golden in a pilsner glass with a thin, foamy white head that is short lived and leaves no lacing. Carbonation streams from within.

The aroma is reminiscent of caramel candy and caramelized sugar, but little else.

Heavily leaning toward a malt flavor profile, only a touch of bitterness can be discerned. There is no real finish in this “beer soda”, however, lots of toasted grain can be found.

The body is thin and fizzy with obviously no alcohol.

Given what this is, it seems a good example of “non-alcoholic” beer. However, it lacks most of what I personally seek from the experience of drinking beer.

2.32/5  rDev -7.9%

A: The beer is clear deep yellow in color and has a high to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that has excellent retention properties and consistently left a thin head covering the surface along with a thick coating of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: The smell isn’t very pleasant and has aromas of wort, cracker malts and cereal.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and also has a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not really watery) on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer looks impressive when poured but after that it’s all downhill. I wouldn’t try this again as there are other low alcohol beers that are much more palatable than this.

3.01/5  rDev +19.4%

A good pour yields a little over half a finger of fizzy white head. Body is a light amber color with a load of bubbles rising bottom to top. Head dissolved to a thin ring in less than half a minute.

Smells odd and malty. Perhaps a little bread or crackers? Either way, it isn't good.

Flavor is light, perhaps bordering on watery, but you get light crackery malt with a hint of pepper and fresh grassy hops. Definitely got your sweet corn adjunct flavor, but you expect that and can't really take points off for it in this style. Not too bad at all.

This is very fizzy. It almost has the body of seltzer water with how light and fizzy it is. It goes down so quickly it takes more sips than usual to get at the flavors.

Kaliber from Guinness Ltd.