Kuhnhenn Ruby Red Grapefruit Wit | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Added by tectactoe on 04-02-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 4
Reviews by tectactoe:
4.14/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I believe this was first introduced at Kuhnhenn's "Breakfast of Champions" St. Patrick's Day party, although I didn't have it until nearly two weeks later, and I'm lucky it was still on tap. It pours a completely opaque and definitively muddled straw color with rusty, yellow hints thrown about. Strange how light and pale of a color it is while still letting absolutely no light through - bottom of the keg, maybe? The soapy, white head leaves a little bit of lacing behind, though only near the top of my glass.

I take a nice, deep whiff and it's a sea of wheat. Very heavy wheat with good amounts of yeast. The yeast is very "Belgian" in character and style, letting off a very, very slight bubblegum-like aroma with a dash of clove and spices. So I'm gonna say this is supposed to be more of a Belgian witbier rather than a German hefeweizen (I still could be wrong on this, and if I am, someone please correct me). The grapefruit is actually a bit light on the nose, but it's still a main component and adds a completely new element to the style. Juicy and mildly sweet with a moderate dryness at the end.

My first sip begins with a little bit of sweetness and of course, a good few handfuls of wheat. No surprises when the grapefruit makes a grand entrance right off the bat, hitting my palate much harder than it was hitting my nose, which is most certainly a good thing. The beer has a very light and spritzy feel to it; crispy and refreshing while maintaining a nice juiciness from the fruit and a mellowness from the wheat. It's similar, but at the same time much different than any other witbier I've had to date, and I'm really liking it so far.

Hops pop in and out and add a mild bitterness (I'm talking very mild, here) and some leafy notes. Halfway through the sip, the fruitiness comes on even stronger with a second wave of grapefruit that washes over and engulfs the palate completely - sweet, juicy, and refreshing like whoa. Heavy yeast sits in the finish - again, with that Belgian-esque bubblegum tone to it, backed up by some clove and spicy zest. Wheat is strong in the finish as well, but really it's pretty noticeable the whole way through. At times, I was picking up some mild tangerine flavors, but grapefruit was most definitely the star of the show here. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation and a slick mouth feel with a slightly dry finish.

Very impressed with stuff. A nice take on the witbier style with the bold addition of grapefruit; it turned out pretty damn good. It surprised me so much so that I left with a growler to share with my friends. This beer delivers exactly what it has set out to achieve - provide a nice, somewhat light, refreshing witbier with a solid infusion of grapefruit. Mission accomplished.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%