Dark Mild

Jul 18, 2021
Added:
Aug 18, 2002
SCORE
Good
Dark MildDark Mild
Notes: A 3.5% dark ruby beer with roasted notes and a smooth, creamy taste. A favourite of lovers of a good mild. Especially popular in East Lancashire and loved as a guest further afield. One of the finest Dark Yorkshire milds still in independent production.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by Sigmund from Norway

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
Cask at the Ipswich Beer Festival 2004, gravity dispense. Black colour, roasted malty and ...err... MILD flavour. Smooth. Low on hops like expected from this style.
Jul 18, 2021

Rated: 3.76 by mdagnew from Northern Ireland

Dec 27, 2018

Rated: 2.69 by hdtrice from England

Jul 22, 2015
Reviewed by futurefjp from England

3.24/5  rDev -3%
I live for a bit of Mild, but I find the water in them there Timothy Taylor's brews means a lot of the flavour is lost on me.

I stay away joe usually, but as Muse in Wetherby currently only have this Dark Mild on tap it is my only option.

This brew lacks any lingering nose, mouthiness or taste.
Mild in all categories there.
It looks pretty flawless.
Dec 03, 2011
Reviewed by seanyfo from Scotland

2.95/5  rDev -11.7%
Half pint from the cask at the Paisley Beer Festival

A- Jet black body with no light penetration, 2 finger soapy head that has poor retention fading instantly to a crown with poor lacing.

S- Slight grainy note and a hint of chocolate

T- Minimal toasted/chocolate malt notes, with no real hop element at all, fading to an uninspiring watery finish.

M- Light carbonation, watery.

D- Easy to drink, but dull and lifeless
May 02, 2010
Reviewed by soulgrowl from England

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5
Cola black with bright sparks of ruby. No head. Lovely rising bread yeasty aroma with touches of licorice, chocolate, and nutty dry sherry. Stupendously mild on the palate - too mild, in fact, with a slight edge of burnt grain on top of nothingness. Smoky and sweet and a little fruity, but underwhelming. Dry mouthfeel is spot-on. Very clean, but also very vapid and bland. I expected better from this style and this brewery!
Jul 05, 2009
Reviewed by BlackHaddock from England

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%
Drank in 'The Bricklayers Arms' Putney, London.

Poured into a TT pint glass, it looked fine, a true dark mild.

The aroma was weak, chocolate malts if anything.

The taste was also of chocolate malts, again not enough to much, in fact it has a dry taste to me.

A little watery for me, compared to say, Bateman's Dark Mild.

A pleasant if uninspired beer.
May 13, 2007
Reviewed by TheLongBeachBum from California

4.23/5  rDev +26.6%
It is no surprise to my beery friends that Timothy Taylor’s brews are one of my all time favorites. Independently produced in Yorkshire, how much better can it get!? Well I rave about this brew, but my visit to England this last Easter was an emotional one to say the least. During my last visit, TT’s Dark Mild served me well after a 6 mile Canal walk from Ossett to Dewsbury and on to the place where I have some of my possessions in storage.

After splashing the beans for another 12 months storage I headed back into Dewsbury and the West Riding Refreshment Rooms (see BeerFly). It was a hot day and the lunchtime crowd was buzzing as much as I was sweating and craving a thirst quenching libation.

What to have; Durham, Ossett, Anglo-Dutch??? Enter Halo-like light from the Heavens……there it was, looking resplendent albeit with its newly designed oval shaped PumpClip; the dark green background has made way for a brown one inset into the original cream colored Taylor oval design.

It took only a few pulls during a busy lunchtime session to get this placed in front of me, perfect looks, a dark black body which smoothed out with a perfect ½” tan colored head that held no blemishes and maintained a quality appearance throughout.

A rarely seen brew, Timothy Taylor’s Dark Mild is a permanent brew at the West Riding Refreshment Rooms, one of only literally a handful of outlets that sells this superb brew. I revelled in the splendor of this classic brew.

A dark malty caramel start that blends in a creamy utterly irresistibly inviting and highly quaffable libation. I cannot begin to explain how drinkable this brew is, except that I had 3 Pints in 30 minutes – straight up!! I had a Bus to catch, good news; it was probably the only thing that prevented me from having a [UK] Gallon in an hour. The dry bitter finish balances the earlier caramel sweetness to perfection. It simply drinks like liquid nectar.

Utterly fantastic, am I biased – YES – but this really is one of the greatest Dark English stroke Yorkshire Milds that I have ever tasted. I am right back to the West Riding once I get back to England next year.

“Aye Lad, tha’ wernt bih suppi owt lark that in tha Staaahtes wheill tha”. I almost had a tear in my eye when I responded to my unknown drinking partner at the time. Too Bloody Right. Sadly.

A definitive Dark Yorkshire Mild. Sorely missed.
I still dream about this one!

If you get to West Yorkshire, and near to Dewsbury, get to the West Riding Refreshment Rooms and drink one of the finest Dark Yorkshire Milds still in Independent production.

Highly, Highly Recommended.
Aug 05, 2005
Reviewed by BenConnery from Australia

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%
I tasted this one at a CAMRA Battersea Beer Festival and found it to be a very good example of a very good style.
A lovely dark colour as good milds mostly are, but such a light body and taste that defies the colouring. This is one of the attributes of milds that I like, they look heavy but taste much lighter. Some malt flavours, overall a very easy drinking mild. Well worth a try if you find it.
Sep 26, 2003
Reviewed by rastaman from England

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%
Very pleasant, as i was expecting from Tim Taylor. Mild chocolate and roasty malts, with a bit of citrus, from hops i guess, light but very pleasant, well balanced. A perfect dark mild for session drinking, nice soft mouthfeel, pleasant stuff(Cask- KentBF03')
Sep 22, 2003