Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Folk Wisdom | Epic Ales

epicales.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by hreb on 11-26-2013

3.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Ale brewed with oolong tea: 5.2% alc/vol, 15 IBUs

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer is a super hazy yellow gold, with a medium white head that rapidly falls. Big yeasty, fruity aroma. Definitely smells like an authentic farmhouse ale.

Taste is seriously funky and sour up front. Astringent, even. The label claims all kinds of grainy goodness: rye, barley, buckwheat, along with unspecified hops and oolong tea. Unfortunately for me the tartness totally overpowers those flavors, and I'm not really digging it. There is a slight sweetness on the lips in the finish. Carbonation is pretty harsh. I am generally not a fan of sour ales, and if I'm able to finish this, it's a good sign that others will find it far more enjoyable than I do.

Folk Wisdom from Epic Ales