Little Green Dry Hop Saison | Flat Tail Brewing

Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.72/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz can

This beer was canned about two and a half months ago, but I’m pretty sure I’ve had cans of this particular beer that were well over 3 months old, and they have tasted fine.

A somewhat aggressive pour yields a huge two finger head into my can-style glass. The head is white, and very soapy looking. Body is a pale yellow, relatively cloudy, with a huge amount of carbonation. Silly me, I forgot to swirl the yeast out of the bottom until the last minute, so I didn’t get too much of it out. Head retention is decent for a head that I can literally hear fizzing away. Bad looking head, body is not bad.

When first cracked, the beer released a lovely dry hopped aroma, now that it has settled, the hop presence is hard to find. Light Belgian yeast character, banana and clove are there, upon further sniffs. Almost a little lemon too. Hop presence is there, if I look hard enough, slightly fruity. It’s smells very refreshing. I just wish the pungency and power that I first got hung around after the dust settled, that’s my biggest problem. It’s still a very nice aroma. For the style, it’s nice to be able to pick up any hops at all, it’s a nice hybrid. I’ll go 4 here, but it’s darn close to a 3.75.

Might be just a hair old here, idk, it doesn’t taste oxidized, just not as a remember it. This was brought to my bar strait from the rep, so it’s fresh enough for tasting I suppose. The overwhelming flavor is lemon, which is not terrible, but it’s not amazing, and it’s very confusing. Bitterness lingers in the background from beginning to end. Maybe a hair earthy, but mostly just a clean, light bitterness. Reminds me more of German hops, than the New Zealand and Mosaic they list, though the nose had a bit of the Mosaic coming through. Hardly getting any Belgian yeast, or what I would call Saison flavor. It’s just such a light beer. I think it’s a little too light, especially considering I can’t say it really even tastes like a Saison, and it barely smelled like one. I like what they are doing here, and it is still a very light, refreshing beer, but this is far lighter than I remember this beer being, and too light in general. Overall, not bad, tasty, but too light on the flavor for me.

Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is medium-low. It goes a good job of being dry and “wet” at the same time.

The drinkability is very high, it goes down like nothin.

Overall a very interesting beer. Like I stated, I like what they are going for. I don’t think this beers recipe has changed, and I don’t think it’s an old can, now that I’m drinking more of it. I simply think that when I have had this beer in the past I haven’t been critically reviewed it. Now that I’m dissecting it, it’s good, but too light on the flavor.

The head retention was actually better than decent, there was a good half finger of head that lasted close to ten minutes after this was poured. The appearance was probably even more interesting than the flavor, overall. The body was quite nice. The head was…not nice, but it did last a while and gave decent lacing. Lacing was soapy, like the head, but decent. Overall, I’d say not bad.

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours hazy and straw yellow in color. White, frothy finger-width head. Fair retention before dying to a thin, broken layer of surface suds and a that thickens around the edge of the glass. Fair lacing, mostly made up of spotting.

Smell - A bit of fruity zing (lemon and pineapple) with some light wheat, spice and green banana notes.

Taste - Follows the nose. Tangy, hoppy note sof lemon and pineapple. Light spice and green banana. A hint of wheat sits beneath. The aftertaste lingers with slight funk and lemon rind bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied with moderate, slightly bitey carbonation. Goes down easy. A bit watery on the finish.

Overall - A pretty darn tasty little saison. Saisons aren't normally my thing, but this is one I'll keep in mind when the weather turns warmer.

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

11/13/2016

4.21/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer on-tap in a tulip at the brewery.

Appearance: light golden hue with minimal haze and a nice layer of tan foam. Quite good.

Smell: rich grassy, citrusy hops atop a mild farmhouse character. The hops are excellent.

Taste: lightly grassy hops along with a rather mild saison flavor. It's not super funky, but the hops are just soothing, smooth and with a great flavor.

Mouthfeel: light body with a big carbonation and a fluffy creaminess.

Overall: though it's technically a saison, it's the session IPA the world needs.

3.89/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A great farmhouse ale. Theres a slight dry hope nose but imo it wasnt needed. This brew is so damn tasty. If u like saisons, chk this local west coast beer out!

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.34/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.21/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.21/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours into the glass a light yellow color. The head disappears quickly. Smells slightly sour and citrusy. Tastes more hoppy than traditional saison's, but I can't discern any unique flavors other than a slight spiciness. Maintains carbonation which makes it taste and feel like a mineral or seltzer water.

3.96/5  rDev +6.7%

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy pale gold with a nice foamy head that diminishes fast. Lots of lacing.
Not much of a nose, maybe some hops, yeast and a bit of wheat
Lots of hops for a saison and a bit of citrus giving it a nice tartness. No fruit , no spice that I can detect. Tastes more like a pale ale.
Nicely carbonated with a clean crispness. At 4.2% it is highly drinkable and refreshing session beer. I'd recommend it but I like their Kölsch better. Cheers!

4.01/5  rDev +8.1%

Light golden color, great hop aroma. Taste is great! Very hop forward, with a pleasant saison finish. I could drink this all day every day. My only negative is that it feels a little over carbonated for my liking. Cheers!

3.62/5  rDev -2.4%

3.89/5  rDev +4.9%

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast