LA-31 Acadie | Bayou Teche Brewery

3.39/5
Alströms:

4.17/5  rDev +23%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: A light amber coloring, with one finger head

S: Toasted malts, some sweet caramel notes, slight breadiness.

T: A fine tasting, crisp toasted malt flavor that finishes with a nice tart sweet finish.

F: Good caerbonation, good body, full flavor

O: I really enjoyed this beer. I don't understand why all the negative reviews. The biggest fault I could find was that they marketed it as a "Farmhouse ale" or a "Biere de Garde" but it really should be marketed as an Amber ale. There was no indication to me of wild yeast, bretty flavor, or that funk that you'd expect in a "farmhouse ale". I enjoyed this beer a lot and agree that it would pair nicely with Cajun cooking, a nice sweet break from the spices found in those dishes.

3.46/5  rDev +2.1%

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.72/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer looks nice as you pour it into the glass, a dark amber color with a thin head. Taste is sweet and sour, hinting of caramel, biscuit and light honey - with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Smell is fruity.

According to Garrett Oliver, "The Brewmasters Table" the Bièr de garde pairs well with:
Bouillabaisse, Cassoulet, Charcuterie, Choucroute, Coq au vin, Crudités, Roasted Duck, Fondue, Game, Onion Tart, Pheasant, Risotto, Truffles and a variety of Cheeses.

2.3/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Rough.

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this style of beer (Bière de Garde) and I think Bayou Teche really hits the mark on Acadie. I tend to pour it and let it sit several minutes before drinking it. The flavor pops as the beer warms. It has a fairly dry ending. Not bitter but not sweet. It's a great beer with crawfish. One of my favorites from Louisiana.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.34/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured almost clear, deep amber (SRM 10-11). A slight off-white, fine head fails to cover the beer while random carbonation bubbles throughout in an Offero oversized wine glass.

Surprisingly strong malt profile, with caramel and biscuit. Also noticeable is dried hay, a light earthiness, and tea leaves. All pleasant, but not to style.

The flavor is strongly caramel with some sun tea and light honey sweetness. Bitterness is similar again to tea and lasts long into an unending finish.

This has a medium body and itchy texture. Light, fizzy carbonation and alcohol are as expected. There is an unpleasant astringency.

This beer is fine, but lacks inspiration. Perhaps it is a work in progress. It can be enjoyed while winding down on a warm, muggy day. Unfortunately, it lacks the subtle nuances I seek in this style.

4.58/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had sampled the other brews made by this local brewer, but found them a bit too strong for my tastes; I could tell that this was a good microbrewer, but until this one, I had not found one to put into my rotation. This Acadie works for me. Being an ethnic Cajun mutt (LOL), I am always interested in supporting my people, and with this brew I can give a full-throated recommendation to a brewer in "my tribe".

The stated theme of this brew seems to be that is the style of beer that a poor Cajun farmer would brew at home, which for myself being only 2 generations removed from francophone subsistence farmers was an appealing backstory. However, being a well-traveled man who has suffered from the dearth of good French beer (thank you Belgium for giving the French good beer!) while visiting France, I was a bit apprehensive., especially as I did not find the other brews by this brewer to be my type. Fortunately I decided to give it its proper 6-pack audition (tastition?), and was VERY pleasantly surprised.

I suppose that the general style is that of a bock (which next to witbeer is arguably my favorite style), but with a bit more hop action going on, with a great palette of little tastes going on. (If there is one thing that I have not found so interesting with Bayou Teche's other brews, it was that the hops were just too overpowering for my taste.) The net effect is a very satisfying beer that I could see being somewhat sessionable. The bottom line is that this one works for me, so if there is anyone out there who has found Bayou Teche's other offerings to be a bit too strong, this one might well hit the spot.

I think I shall session this when watching LSU football on a Saturday night.

3.09/5  rDev -8.8%

3.34/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.32/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

cloudy dark yellow copper color with slight skim of head. sour smell. sour sweet taste, has some toasty biscuits and some carmel notes. medium lite body and carbonation. all and all its not much.

4.56/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1.72/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Body is the color of apple cider. Head is light tan and jumps to almost an inch before it starts to fade. Scattered dots of lace are left behind. Nose is a weird mix of soured fruit and cleaning solution and fungal rot. Flavor has some vegetative notes and dirty malts. I really won't say much more then this is just a little off overall.

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Really surprised by this one. Nice creamy white head and deep orange hue. Aroma is of pears, cherry, and toasted malt. Taste follows the nose with an opening of pears, and passion fruit. Middle is a huge toasted bready malt. Ends crisp.

LA-31 Acadie from Bayou Teche Brewery