Poetica 1

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: After a trip to Pilsen (Czech Republic) last November with Bob, I returned with a creative drive to elevate Mary, our German-style Pilsner, to a higher state of elegance and refinement. In what will likely become an exhausting pursuit of reformation and refinement, we began lagering a portion of Mary in a single French oak puncheon in our cooler. After nearly two months, the beer was moved to tank and krausened (as is all of our lager) with fresh fermenting beer in order to provide natural carbonation. After nearly 3 months of further conditioning and slow carbonation, I am confident that we can present you with what should become a singular experience—Mary has been softened, refined, and elevated.

We will continue this pursuit through further lager experimentation. This is an immersion into origins, into simplicity, and a gift granted by obsessive singular possession.

This lyrical revision of Mary—and this ongoing pursuit—will now be known as "Poetica" and will only be available on draft.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 47 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.95/5  rDev -11%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was glad to finally have this. It poured a pale golden with a thick frothy head. It’s fine. Some grape skins. Notable hop presence, spicy peppercorn character. I am glad lagers are getting attention because of beers like this. Hill does a great job presenting the moment, the story, the craftsmanship of his beers, but this doesn’t do it for me. At the end of the day, this is just good, not great for me.

4.76/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On draft at Hill Farmstead (and Armsby Abbey). Served in a Bamberg mug.

Lighter golden yellow body, one and half finger frothy, thick yet effervescent white head. One of the more beautiful heads I've seen on a beer, period. Good retention. Lots of lacing.

Smell is massive pilsner malt, cracker, noble up and big grain overload. Wow. This is Pilsner Urquell on steroids. It really pops on the nose and the hops are more or less done so incredibly well. Crisp bread and biscuit, perfect floral and herbal notes.

Flavour follows- fantastic blend of biscuit, grains and hops. It's so perfectly balanced, deliciously grainy with a nice noble hop bite to it.

Mouthfeel is incredible. I think this is what elevates the beer above every other lager I've had. Medium full bodied, smooth with a huge creaminess. Tons of flavour and complexity on the backend, incredible. Just perfect as far as mouthfeel goes.

Love this series. I wish I could drink beers out of this series more regularly. Damn. Almost the perfect pilsner.

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

how anyone rates this less than a 4.75 on appearance I cannot understand - just a beautiful looking lager with this insanely dense and fluffy bright white head, leaving tons of lace. just when you thought you knew the 'limits' of what pils could be. immensely soft, rounded grain character and hint of grassy hops - beauty in appearance and flavor.

Enjoyed at Armsby Abbey. Quite an exquisite beer served in a lager mug. All the work described in the production of this beer payoff and makes it a singular experience.

Poetica 1 from Hill Farmstead Brewery